Ideas about how to make a landscape like this?

Hi!
This location is Dungkar Piyang in Tibet.
Just curious before I start if anyone has any ideas on modelling a similar landscape.
I was thinking of using different shapes on top of each other then voxel remesh- sculpt a bit and then decimate it and turn on autosmooth as I have seen in a tutorial
I’m not sure about the horizontal lines that seem to go along canyon like landscapes, maybe add with a material?
Any small ideas appreciated thanks :slight_smile:

I would do this in layers. Start with the overall shape, no details. Remesh this, and start refining edges. I assume these are houses, so get the very rough shape of the houses done. Remesh this. Use the inflate and blob tools in sculpting to make the holes. Remesh. Refine the edges some more. Remesh. Use clay strips to add the horizontal lines. Then one final detail sculpt pass. Make a copy of the object, decimate it down to a low poly version, bake the normals of the high poly to the low poly. Texture the low poly- use ambient occlusion node to accentuate the cavities

2 Likes

You can have a single material applied to several objects in a scene by using a UVProject modifier. See attached blend file.

I created three cubes, and assigned a UVProject modifier to one using the camera as projector. You need to set the aspect ratio of the modifier to match the dimensions of your scene (1920 x 1080 here). Then use the image (which I’ve packed) as the material for the cube. I then used Ctrl L to link the material and copy the modifier to the other cubes. The images acts like a ‘world’ texture and any object in the scene will show part of the texture. Move a cube around and you’ll see what I mean.

You could use this to create a displacement texture that is applied to all the ‘cave’ objects in your scene to get a global displacement. I hope I’ve understood your question about lines along the canyon correctly.

I think any object you use this technique with must have a UV map but it doesn’t matter what that UV map is because I think the modifier rewrites it to produce the result. So make sure you have unwrapped your geo, but any kind of unwrap will do.

project_mat.blend (950.3 KB)

2 Likes

Only one thing is unavoidable, to think in terms of blocks (or blobs) rather than taking all of the model right at once. As for example you can create a kit of shapes, about 20 of them. And then combine them with various ways in order to create a mega structure.

1 Like

Thankyou for your reply!! :slight_smile:

Hey, thankyou! I didnt know about this
Thankyou for your explanation too
Definitely could come in useful :open_mouth: !!

Thankyou for replying
Okay understood, will keep this in mind before starting!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Depending on the reusability you require it might be worth doing it in geometry nodes.

You will need some set of rules for creating the base geometry and for distributing openings such as doors and windows.

The rest can be done with procedural shader nodes with displacement.

1 Like

Hi,
I have never used geometry nodes before but it looks like a really interesting way to create organic shapes looking into it , maybe ill do some little experiments, thanks!!

You can use a different camera to render than the one you use to project the textures. That way you can change the view of your shot without disturbing the textures.

1 Like