IES-Like Lights in Cycles / Architectural Lighting

is this only a projection on a plane or can it make like a volumetric beam in 3D

thanks

ricky, post 17 of this thread shows a volumetric render with this technique

ok thanks
now is this using the first post script or a modified one and where can i get it ?

now this will make a pattern on the floor or wall but wont show a volumetric beam
if i understand how this is working

thanks

Did anyboby show the ies lights in web browser in a dynamic environment?

wow suddenly I fell in love with cycles

How about prolonged lights? Like office ceiling lamps.

I´m trying to create a Fake IES using the nodes setup posted by gexwing (firs page), but in Blender 2.72 it is not working…

EDIT: sorry, my mistake. Wrong lamp type…

I cannot get this working … I am using a point light in Cycles with the various node setups shared in version 2.74 Not sure what I am doing wrong. :frowning:

Thanks… update… I figured out I had the wrong lamp type and that this will also work with planes as lights. Looking at that link now BiggR.

This normal+incoming > dot product > coloramp > emitter
On any light (I mean a spot light)
It doesn’t work on any recent blender I tried.
I can’t find any wrong setup here. Identical to these setups around.
I miss something here?

I believe it only works with area or mesh lights. Spotlights don’t have the same normals to pull data from.

Oh,
OK thanks SterlingRoth.

good news everyone!

https://developer.blender.org/D1543

That is great news!

Wonderful news! Reading through the patch summary, Lukas’ implementation as a node for input into light strength sounds very intuitive to me, and you can even use an IES file from Blender’s text editor. Great!

Another very nice feature from Lukas, thanks a lot!

How do I use a patch diff. Do I have to build Blender from source? There hasn’t been any activity there for months, is this coming to the official Blender build?

I’m not aware of any testbuilds that contain this patch, so yes, you would need to build blender from source with the patch applied (using git apply), since it’s not yet commited into the master branch. It’s been 3 weeks or so since lukasstockner added the last comment, so i wouldn’t give up on it ending in blender someday.

Sorry for the long delay, I didn’t have enough time to finish it soon enough for 2.77.
It’s definitely not abandoned, though, I’ll continue it as soon as I have the time.

Great to hear, Lukas, and thank you. :slight_smile:

Thank you very much Lukas. Is there a wiki for how to build a new diff from source under Windows? I have never done that before.