If I could change one simple thing in Blender it'd be...

(I think this would be simple anyway)

I would like there to be a way to define the starting radius of a spotlight with the halo effect turned on. When lighting a room with these, it is irritating to be forced into one of these options:

1. Use the light as is at the surface of the physical lamp structure and possibly show the viewer that the halo effect is coming from an unrealistically tiny pinpoint source. (Boo, looks pretty bad)

2. Add another lamp (area) with halo effect and try to drown out the pinpoint start of the spotlight. (Never succeeded yet using yafRay)

3. Cut a hole in my mesh and try to get this halo to shine through. (What a pain!)

I just want an option to define starting radius. Am I crazy here?

What simple thing would you like to see enhanced, added or tweaked?

I would rather have the light source alway face down no matter in what view it is created in. Because I always have to rotate it down anyways.

One simple thing…
To be asked , like 90% of Programs do, if I want to save before closing Blender.
m.a.

hear hear!

I would vote to have Left-Click and drag to select rather than use gestures. Even Shift+Left Drag would be nice.

or maybe when adding a object and holding space or shift, the local z axis will be in the same direction as the global z axis no matter in what view it is created in.

Well, there is already the Ctrl-Left Drag for lasso selecting…

Do you mean like a rectangular selection? Similar to selecting files in Windows Explorer, Nautilus, Finder, etc. (or the “b” hotkey in Blender)?

Exactly.

Yeah but that isn’t really intuitive.

Yeah but that isn’t really intuitive.[/quote] how come, i think its very good for selecting multiple vert’s…? :confused:

meh, guess thats just me :slight_smile:

1. Make ClipEnd smaller than ClipStart.
    http://blendpolis.de/a/bild_2_296.jpg

(and don’t forget to increase the sampling frequency Halo Step at least to 1)

I would change how you select and deselect, so it works like practically all other 3D software. That is, LMB-drag for box-select, and clicking in emty space deselects. Nothing wrong with ‘a’ button (select/deselect All), but pressing a,b,a,b,a,b,… all the time, is a little offputting, when it could just work like everything else. No reason to be different for difference sake.

If someone can tell me how the current selection method can improve workflow, over the de facto method, I will gladly stand corrected. Also, how does right-click select improve workflow over left-click?

Kill your darlings, maybe? (no offence, blenderheads)

when you quit, blender saves automaticly quit.blend to your temp directory.

if i could change something, i would make it possible for python gui scripts to use same widgets (and views) as blender does, instead of always building your own with ridiculous opengl commands…
(but i guess this even might be possible after event refactor…)

.b

I would change AO to real GI.

I would add some real good nurbs system… ho…it’s not simple, sorry :slight_smile:
so… more modern interface ? … ha, not simple either…

ok, so nothing simple. lol . Shortcuts are very ok for me, once you learned them it’s very productive ( intuitive is not important, it’s only for 3dsmax user trying blender 1/2 hour :slight_smile:

when you quit, blender saves automaticly quit.blend to your temp directory.

wow i didn’t know it did that.
i would:

1. make an alternative for the MMB. here in malaysia, some computers are ancient and their mouses don’t have middle buttons.

Disable the transform manipulator in sculpt mode automatically.

While that “works,” it forces you to use a separate lamp and different render layers (or lighting groups) in order to get correct shadows. also, you lose the light filtering/blocking effect from the halo lamp, which is one of the points of using them in the first place.

It would be much nicer, simpler, and mathematically sound to just implement it as in the original post.

1. make an alternative for the MMB. here in malaysia, some computers are ancient and their mouses don’t have middle buttons.
    http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/User_Preferences#View_.26_Controls

@ san: you know you can change that behavior (left/right mouse select) in the user preferences, right? It would be worth considering whether that should be the default, though (I use right mouse, but for new users, it could be confusing)

I don’t have any really simple things… just complex things, and I don’t want to turn this into a feature request post.