ILMBase/OpenEXR build problem

I am getting an error when trying to use the install_deps script:

./b44ExpLogTable: error while loading shared libraries: libHalf.so.12: failed to map segment from shared object: Operation not permittedIlmImf/CMakeFiles/IlmImf.dir/build.make:56: recipe for target 'IlmImf/b44ExpLogTable.h' failed
make[2]: *** [IlmImf/b44ExpLogTable.h] Error 127
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
./dwaLookups: error while loading shared libraries: libHalf.so.12: failed to map segment from shared object: Operation not permitted
IlmImf/CMakeFiles/IlmImf.dir/build.make:61: recipe for target 'IlmImf/dwaLookups.h' failed
make[2]: *** [IlmImf/dwaLookups.h] Error 127
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:83: recipe for target 'IlmImf/CMakeFiles/IlmImf.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [IlmImf/CMakeFiles/IlmImf.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:146: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2
ERROR! OpenEXR-2.2.0 failed to compile, exiting

So there is already a thread discussing this, but it’s a bit older and I have different objectives. I am trying to do this in a docker container to make my build environment more reproducible, but mainly I’d like to couple blender to a modern Python distribution.

Main issue I have with the way blender is distributed now is that it doesn’t integrate with modern Python package management. Most reasonably “current” builds bundle Python, making it a pain to install other libraries. The ideal solution would be to create “blender” packages for pip and/or conda, which install a blender version linked to the particular python distribution. For this, conda would be preferred, since it has better binary support and comes with all sorts of fun math packages. It is also available for Windows.

Currently I am just trying to figure this out, but eventually I think blender builds based on Anaconda or at the very least “pip-ready” would be the way to go for Blender with “super-charged” Python Addons. Also, if you are a blender developer, who is unsatisfied with the current difficulty of building blender, I would recommend to check out Docker. Linux containers are changing the game everywhere, and I imagine building Blender or managing render farms is no different in this regard.

So the question about the error I am getting is: Do I have to install libilm from github? Do I have to install openexr from github instead of the install_deps script? Can I skip openexr in the deps script then?