I'm a loser, and I need a job

note the names on the right
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/7179/untitledbs8.th.png

any tips for a highschooler trying to get a job (and possibly learning to drive and getting a car?)

Ugh. Tyler Durden put it best: ā€œWe work jobs we hate, to buy **** we donā€™t need.ā€ I hate working. I suggest working at a fast food place, or if you hate your life and want to die, a cherry sorting/packing shed.

I feel your pain man, I had to quit my first job a while ago because there wasnā€™t any work for me. Iā€™ve been looking and applying places for a while now, no luck.:frowning:

If you consider yourself a ā€œloserā€, it is only because you are looking or listening to other peoples opinions. Who the hell says that they know it all? Maybe your job is to be you.

be a golf caddy person
if you work near christmas, you can get some tips that are around $100. not only that, but most owners are rich and pay at least minimum wage:D

If you consider yourself a ā€œloserā€, it is only because you are looking or listening to other peoples opinions

or, he is very smart, having little or no self confidence. therefore, heā€™s not dissapointed when he fails, but impressed when he succeds(ooh, thereā€™s some advice I should donate to a fortune cookie company)

Work at McDonaldā€™s, and start writing letters to your Republican Congressman, telling them to go w/ the Democrats, and raise min. wage to 7.50, like the Dems want to. I love those Democratsā€¦

If you say your a loser, then thatā€™s what you are, if you say your a winner, then thatā€™s what you are.
Firstly the one thing that can get you a great job is the state of mind your in, if you think of yourself as being a loser, then you give off a sorta an unpleasent vibe that other people pick up. I used to have really bad depression problems, most of my friends thought I should get help, they thought I was clinicly depressed, I thought I was as well, but I didā€™nt want to be stung out on meds my whole life to try and fix that. I noticed I would tell myself what a loser I was and I always talked about the bad things in life and never acknowledged the good, so I started SAYING positive things, not just trying to think positive, and in hearing my own self saying these positive tyhings, I began to fill better about the world I lived in, I felt like I mattered, like I belonged and I began to make some really awesome friends that I still have to this day. One guy hired me because of my attitude (a graphics job), I was so positive and felt like I could do the job so much that it was mine before filling out an application, he saw something different in me. A professional look is something that is highly important too, I thought Iā€™d hate looking like a professional, but I love dressing that way now. So I hope this helps.
-Jimmy

Iā€™m not experienced in the ā€œjob search marketā€, but I have a bit of general advice. Donā€™t let whether a job accepts you or not determine how you think of yourself. Just because a potential employer didnā€™t think you were a fit for the position doesnā€™t mean that you wouldnā€™t have been a good (if not great) fit for the job.

I donā€™t have much experience with job searching, so Iā€™ll leave the specifics to someone with more experience.

I hope your job search is productive.:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thatā€™s a good way to think of it: youā€™re trying to sell something (your services, your abilities), and a fair number of the people who you approach when trying to sell anything are going to say ā€œno, thanks.ā€ Itā€™s tough not to take it personallyā€¦ but thatā€™s what you do.

Put your mind to it ā€¦ what do you have to ā€œsell?ā€ And, what do you want to be ā€œwhatā€™s in it for you?ā€ Sure, when youā€™re just starting out, you might not have a big, long list of experience to offer ā€¦ but weā€™ve all been there. Thereā€™s still something thatā€™s you.

Selling is a little bit like acting ā€¦ no, itā€™s a whole lot like acting. And thatā€™s when you need to remember Alfred Hitchcockā€™s acting-advice given to Ingrid Bergman: ā€œIngrid, fake it!ā€ Or maybe the old line from the ā€œFantasy Islandā€ TV-show: ā€œSmiles, everyone! Smiles!!ā€

Good luck.

Do you want to work in 3d/post production? if you live at home, and donā€™t need money, try for a job as an intern at a post-production facility. I see you donā€™t live in NY or LA, so there might not be a big 3d scene where you are, but thereā€™s bound to be a few editing houses, or a local tv station. Even something as basic as a place that makes wedding videos.

But for gods sake donā€™t go in blind. Try and ascertain what stuff they use (editing package, titling package, types of things they make), and learn as much as you can about it. Most post software these days have free learning versions, even a cursory knowledge about what button to push is better than nothing. People who walk in saying ā€˜Iā€™ll work for free Iā€™ll make coffee oh god I donā€™t know anything teach me teach meā€™ donā€™t get hired. You have to show some aptitude, show your keen, and show you learn quickly.

At some point any one of those places is going to require some titles, or simple animation, and thats when you offer to do it in blender. Even if they canā€™t hire you, at least ask if you can pop in for 20 minutes to talk about the industry, paths they can recommend etc. Its all about getting that foot-in-the-door, if they see you, and learn your name, youā€™ll be first on the list if they suddenly need an extra hand.

Luck and timing come into play somewhat; if the person you talk to is really busy, or happens to be a jerk, they wonā€™t want to help you out. No problem, find the next person, or just ask when would be a better time. At the same time, donā€™t be a creepy stalker and call every day. Try and judge the person youā€™re talking to. I cold called an animator when I first started out, lucky for me he turned out to be a really chatty and friendly guy, who gave me loads of advice, and called me for work within a few months. You might be lucky and find the same.

For starters though, learn the basics of photoshop, everyone uses this. Then learn at least one video editing package (avid have a free learning version, as do adobe premiere), then if possible learn the basics of a compositing program like after effects.
It can all be done for free, online, and while youā€™re young you have the time do do these things.

Good luck.

How are you gonna get paid for that?

The government, Lua, the government.

@ Lua: I LOL at your sig lol

Forget getting a job, start a business! I knew a 12 year old making hundreds of dollars every weekend by painting house numbers on curbs, and a 17 year old who paid for his car through candy vending machines he owned. If I had met these kids when I was younger, I wouldnā€™t have bothered working every evening putting together computers for minimun wage.

and broadcast your graphics knowledge. I just got my first freelance cg job from a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend of mine. Itā€™s good work at well over minimum wage. esp. if youā€™re in a medium-sized town where there arenā€™t many commercial artists but a big market.

I agree with Trevor.
Starting your own business can provide you well.
However, itā€™s quite a lot of work to do. Accounting, insurance, other legal paperworkā€¦ plus you have to pay your own social security thingy (I donā€™t know what itā€™s called).
Sounds challenging, though, and if you pull it off correctly (after doing some research) youā€™ll have more profit than you would have had netto wage with an employer.
But itā€™s risky. If you donā€™t work, no-one will make you but money doesnā€™t just come knowk on your door. Plus, if you have negative profit you might have a problemā€¦ or two.
The adventure, thoughā€¦

True. The only system that would pay you for that, and then tax you for it right afterwards.

just spreadinā€™ the good news. people need it after Egypt flattened us in the semi-finalsā€¦ lol, i donā€™t know what iā€™m talking aboutā€¦

Iā€™m 16 and in September I started working at Circuit City. Forget fast food, this is so much better. I make more than minimum wage by working with computers and cameras, showing off what I know to customers. The atmosphere is fantastic; I donā€™t know how so many hilarious people ended up at the same job. I donā€™t knowā€¦ maybe you NEED a sense of humor to work there. Check it out. We were hiring like crazy just before Thanks Giving for Black Friday and the Christmas season.

One key to getting hired is to be enthusiastic. After you submit an application, chances are they arenā€™t going to call you. Wait a week or two and then show up at the store, dressed nicely (pants [not jeans], collar shirt, tie) and ask to speak to the manager. They LOVE that you take the extra time to get their attention.

-Laurifer

Circuit city sounds awesome, and I do love the atmosphere (good lighting, thatā€™s a turn on for me). What kind of skills do you need for computersā€¦ in other words, what do you do?

to all those people assuming I think Iā€™m a loser because of job rejection, you miss my point: i was referring to the massive amount of time I spend on these forums, instead of other stuff.