I'm a n00b and I have a laptop.

I really like Blender, but I feel I may not be able to use it with my laptop. I use the setting that emulates a middle button, but my big problems come when I follow tutorials and I have to utilize the number pad. I have no number pad on my laptop. This is especially important when I’m trying to UV map an image. I can do the Front view just fine…but I can’t figure out how to get the Back view to map that area (I know the keyboard is ctrl-1). Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

Hi…I use a laptop at home and a standard PC setup at work. I found that plugging in a MS keyboard (if you have a work surface/table for your laptop) solved the problems you mentioned.

I brought an usb number keypad and this solved my laptop blues :slight_smile:

Don’t you have a numbers on some of the letter keys? On my keyboard I do and I switch between them with a Fn-key. So what I usually do is have it swithed permanently. Then if I need to use one of the letter shortcuts now hidden on a number key I hold the Fn-key and press that key.

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to take a closer look at my keyboard, first. If I can’t find a solution there, I guess I may have to go the keyboard route. Thanks, again.

You can set Blender to emulate numpad keys (System & OpenGL\Emulate Numpad). It will use normal number keys as numpad keys. I have a laptop and use that specific setting. ctrl works too with the setting.

You don’t necessarily need a real numpad to use Blender efficiently.

Hey BeBraw, that was the answer I was hoping for. I’ll look for it and give it a try. Thanks, again.

I never knew that BeBraw. This will make my life easier. I was attaching to a keyboard. Ok how does one then apply the “dot” key which switches to local view only in the 3d window.

thank you very much :slight_smile:
but still I have question: How to save that in blender?
or each time I starting blender I must to swich over and over again :frowning:

How to save that in blender?

Use File\Save Default Settings. (Hotkey ctrl-u)

thank’s again :slight_smile:

BeBraw, your knowledge and willingness to share it patiently is greatly appreciated.