I'm Back! This time it's nodes!

Hi. I just took this tutorial over at blender cookie. I followed this man’s node setup COMPLETELY and somehow two things don’t work-

1. The hue and saturation does not change anything, even though it should.
  2. I believe that due to the hue and saturation node not working, the colored part of the blade is not strong…

Could someone please help me?

My node Setup:

Attachments

tesrsr.blend (557 KB)

I haven’t ferreted out the problem, but it is related to the plane. Deleting the plane the blade shows up yellow. I’ll poke more later if I have time.

Thank you!

In my opinion main problem is with value of hue and saturation. With max value you won’t see any difference, but change it to 0.6, and you will see. But I don’t suggest using shadeless material for background because it doesn’t look good, at least in that case :wink:

Odd… In the tutorial, he does this and the glowing edge turns a different color…

You can’t expect that you’ll change color of everything using factory value of basic shape, because you change hue and saturation only of part, which is at the center and is actually white. If you want to keep that factor, to see effects of change you need to change material color of your saber, and even with max value you’ll see changes scrolling hue and saturation sliders.

And I still recommend to uncheck shadeless from background material :wink:

ummm…

Here is what I want to do: I would like to make a solid white object. Any object I like. I would like it, when I hit render, to make a blurred outline of a color I choose with a slight falloff around that object. AKA a lightsaber.

I cannot figure out how to color just the falloff, though.

Ok I’ve watched his tutorial and now I can tell you what you did wrong. He used index object of handle (which you don’t have, you have only blade), and he’s inverted index of object to change hue and saturation of everything else (your factor was to change only blade, he changed everything except handle). You don’t have handle, so you don’t need to put anything as factor as far as you have only a blade.

so what so I do to make the blade brighter/more contrasted/colorful? (I deleted the background plane and now the vid is actually the sky.

send me your email on pw, I will make you a video of that in a second :wink:

wait wait. I have everything for the lightsaber composited. Thank you for offering, but I just need to know how to render the lightsaber, than pop the movie in the background. That’s all I need.

As I said, to get the effect like you want with hue and saturation sliders just disconnect factor link connected to that window in node editor and mess with slider. For movie you can use video sequence editor

So you are saying I should render everything out as an image sequence of RGBA pngs and put them together in a video editor?

Also, I have figured out the lightsaber thing. I just need to know how to composite the lightsaber to be in front of the video…

and one other thing:o:o:o:o

The lightsaber I am using is a cylinder. When I use a wider object, like a plane, It becomes reverse. The OUTSIDE ends up being white and the INSIDE ends up being colored!

Who’da thunk it? :stuck_out_tongue:

for composing it with movie I suggest to watch

or maybe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbmVXev17eQ

Or If you need that for simple thing you can just use nodes to mix that
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/5585/nodes.jpg
adding movie instead of image and playing with start frame and number of frames

Alright. What about the plane?

Sorry. I was out walking the dog. :stuck_out_tongue:

Should I just invert it?

I can’t imagine what are you talking about. Can you post screenshot or something? Do you wanna use something else instead of cylinder as light saber?

For some odd reason, yes I would like to use a plane instead. For some odd reason, it is inverted:

Attachments

It’s because you use blur as factory to mix with color in nodes, what provides you put color inside square. I don’t have time now so I will help you more tomorrow evening if you won’t solve that till that time.

Thank you. :wink:

I haven’t watched the tutorial, but in the past, I’ve had good results with having the object emit (very high values, like 5+), giving in the color in the materials, and then using glare, or else rgb curves + blur + add.
that make sense?