Im color blind....

Unless it’s bothering you I wouldn’t worry about it. I’m also color blind in a couple of areas (I don’t see certain shades of green or blue at all; they show up as tones of grey). I think the only time it’s ever been a problem is when I’m trying to match clothing. My wife constantly tells me that “that shirt doesn’t go with those pants” or a suitable variation thereof. I have a black coat; everyone else says it’s Hunter Green. I don’t care what anyone else says, it’s BLACK!!! :slight_smile:

And no it won’t keep you out of the army. For that you have to be completely red/green color blind, and that’s quite rare. If you can see the candy red button (and tell that it’s different from the apple green button) then you can press it and that’s all they require.

However never press the candy red button!!!

http://colorvisiontesting.com/card6.gif

I see the square and green/red dots.

You should see a yellow square and a red circle.

I see individual red circles. I don’t see any big ones though. What am I missing?

I’m colorblind too. I first found out with the school doctor. She traced a line of colored dots with her finger and asked me to do the same. So I just tried to remember the way she did it, but then I got lost :expressionless:
For some reason it’s possible for colorblind people to learn colors. The difference in green and brown became clearer to me (in primary school I colored the trunk of trees green and the leaves brown, and when I colored a field of grass they thought I was making a desert). When something looks like the color of leaves I just assume it’s called “green”.

I can vaguely see a 5 though in the image Sutabi posted. But I don’t think those tests are very reliable to do on the computer because of monitor calibration and such…

ok these are the shapes you should see.

link: http://img79.exs.cx/img79/7249/card6edit.gif

right after looking at the properties of the image i relised its on 8 bit colour depth which is stupidly LOW for a proper colour test on the human eye, it should be 24 bit minimum perferably 32 bit so dont worry too much about not seeing certain colours where half them aren’t even frekin’ there.

Sutabi is in California. Contrary to what Kerry says, the US doesn’t have a draft (and does’t have any plans for one). In the US, you can choose any of the branches of service to join (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps). During the process, you take a standardized test that is designed to identify your capabilities for different job categories. A high score will open up more possible job fields. A low score might limit your choices to areas you aren’t interested in. Some job fields have bonuses for choosing them. The bonus is usually paid after you meet the training and qualifications. After the standardized test, there will be physical exams to make sure you can do the basic work and anything specific for that job field. Someimtes there are additional tests. For languages, there is a language aptitude test. For pilots, there is a more stringent physical exam. When you enlist, there is a contract. It says what the military is promising you and gives your committment to the military. If you say, I want to be an Esperanto linguist. You will probably have to get a decent score on the initial test, then a good score on the language test. You will have to pass the basic physical, but there probably wouldn’t be a color-blind test. If you wanted to disarm bombs, you might not need a high initial test, but your vision better be able to tell the difference between colored wires.

Depending on how your contract is set up, you can get burned. If your contract ‘guarantees’ a certain job field, then you are ok. If you aren’t able to meet the qualifications, you could be released from the military. Usually the contract ‘guarantees’ the ‘opportunity’. They will send you to the language school, but if you fail, that is your fault and you can be sent to any job the military chooses (that doesn’t happen often, more likely is that you would repeat until you complete the training).

In the US, you shouldn’t be surprised about your assignment. You have much less control over where you will serve. You can request a base or location, but that is never guaranteed.

Sutabi:
My recommendation is that you try to get assigned to a Guardrail unit or work your butt off to get into the 160th SOAR.

As long as you don’t combine some certain colours, it’s definitly not influencing on your artistic skills. Beethoven was deaf…

• Bentagon

Beethoven wasn’t always deaf, he knew what music was whereas someone who is colorblind at birth do not know what certain colors are.

This doesn’t diminish the value of what Beethoven did in any way though.

Martin

In his book An Anthropologist On Mars Oliver Sacks recounts the story of a patient who really WAS color blind… after a car accident, his brain was injured in such a way that he saw the world only in shades of black and white. He became very depressed.

I think there are different levels of color blindness…
I saw the 5 clearly and also the O in the second picture, but if I close one eye alternatively I see colder or warmer colors, depending on the open eye!

Above all, nature gave you a hint: have a peaceful job :smiley:

maybe it was all those back flips you were doing… :wink:

Sgt.Bilko : right after looking at the properties of the image i relised its on 8 bit colour depth which is stupidly LOW for a proper colour test on the human eye, it should be 24 bit minimum perferably 32 bit so dont worry too much about not seeing certain colours where half them aren’t even frekin’ there.

ummm… that’s not the reason I saw it just fine… then again when I almost joined the marines the eye tester lady was surpised that I went through that whole flippy notebook with all the colored cards in like 5 seconds w/o hesitation and got everything right.
so it could be that i’m 100%colorblind-free!! as to why I see everything on here just fine.