I'm having troubles whit skin modifier

Hi people of this forum.
I’m somewhat new in blender and certanly new in this forum. So any help is well recived.
I’m making this truss whit vertex and edges so i could apply a skin modifier to get volume, the issue is that it doesn’t apply equally in all the axis and it’s specially visible when i scale it down whit ctrl+a. (the images shows what i meant)
I tried to scale it in all the axis and exluding z,x and y. Also the “equalize radii” botom but nothing seems to work

Any help to make it equal?
Thanks

Hey Juan,

What exactly are you building here? What does the mesh look like without the modifier on?

Also, did you apply all transforms (ctrl-a) in object mode, prior to applying the modifier?

Might be a better way to do this but need some background info to do that.

Hi there,
I have the 2.83.4 built. As for the look of the mesh, take a look

I applyed the modifier, then enter in the edit mode to transform. But as soon as i put the modifier in it jumps to sigth that it isn’t applying it as expected.
(Thank you for your response :))

Okay. Are you trying to make tubes from your edges? Like metal tubing? Do you have a real picture of what you are trying to make/build. Like a real-life reference?

Yes, tubes. Something like this. But simplified and easy to handle, for that reason i was using the skin modifier. Take a look at the reference

Okay. Not sure about skin modifier but you could convert your mesh (in this case your edges) to a curve (in object mode) and then bevel them to the size you want. I did add an array for each geometry.

I guess you could convert each one back to a mesh and join them so they are one mesh (but different sizes) and then array it once (so they share the same distance value)

See blend file attached and images. That’s how I would do this simply.

Truss_Juan.blend (693.1 KB)

Here’s a different file with the outside ones a little thicker and I added a solidify modifier to close the ends…and some minor scaling change on the other two geos

Truss_Juan1.blend (695.5 KB)

Hope that helps. Bye for now.

Thank you so much, i’ll try that method. (also sorry, i knock out in sleep last nigth)

Oh it works. Thank you again :slight_smile:

Yay! I’m glad it worked.

1 Like