I'm now unemployed

I just got word from my boss yesterday that I’m being layed off in 2 weeks, due to bad times befalling on the company :frowning: . This really sucks seeing how I’ve been with the company since day 1, and I helped him start it :mad: , and he thinks a 2000 dollar check is going to make everything ok with me and him… Wow he’s crazy, especially since it’s his fault the company is in trouble, and now I’m the one having to pay for it.

So now I’m going to be unemployed real soon and I’m currently looking for a job. Or, maybe I won’t get a job for a month or so on purpose since that will leave alot more time for blender :D.

Sorry for rant but I’m a little depressed right now.

It’s okay to rant. We feel you pain.

So, can you make it on the $ you have or is a job imperative?

Yeah i quit my dayjob cause my boss is an asshole. I now only work weekend on a other job and searching others jobs meanwhile.

What sort of work did you do for this company?

About two months ago I was fired from my job. I decided to take it as an opportunity to try to get into the casual gamming market as an independent develper. I still have a lot of work to do, but I expect to have my first game completed within a few months.

Perhaps this can be an opportunity for you to try doing something you always wished you had the time for. What sort of job would you love to be doing?

Saxofoner91: Thanks, yea I do have enough $ to make it about 4 or so months before I’d be just about broke.

Bigbad: My boss is an asshole (one of those bosses that do nothing all day) also so maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

Waffler: I was a computer tech with a company called Zion Technologies in Indiana. It is a kind of jack of all trades computer company but only for businesses. Setup up servers, networks, computer repair, figuring out software solutions, etc… However I think I’m done with this field for a job after this ordeal it’s left a really bad taste in my mouth. What I really want to do is to get really proficient in blender and do something creative. I’ve got all kinds of idea’s I’ve always thought would make great short movies but couldn’t afford programs like 3dsmax. I came across Blender earlier this year and love it and hope to use it for commercial work, and start up my own studio. Actually I’ve started talking with my lawyer about registering a new company. So hopefully losing my job is for the best.

But here is my question should I go get a job right away or wait a month or longer to learn blender faster? What would you guys do?

learn blender, but do not stop looking for a job. There might be some unexpected turn of events

Definately look for a new job right away. Blender may be fun, but contrary to what some people may believe, it is not life.:smiley:

It’s kind of ironic, but I just got my first job a couple of days after my dad got laid off…

well, if you don’t neccesarily need those $2000 for eating and other basic stuff, then you can blow it off on a very nice pre-built computer or a totally kick ass computer that you assemble your self ( if you know how to put together a computer, i know i dont :D)

anyways, so sorry to hear about that, and keep loking for cool jobs!! good luck landing a good one with computers or cg!!!

Look for a job and keep learning Blender. The way I do it is get up at 4:30, work with Blender/Irrlicht, look for work from 7:00 to 4:00, spend some time with my fiancé (if you have a special lady don’t neglect her in your job search/education), then I work from the time I get home until 3:00 AM on my projects, go to bed, get up at 4:30 AM, and start all over.

Of course, you have to have the constitution for that kind of schedule. Ninety minutes of sleep a night for five nights a week (considerably more on weekends) will kill some people, but for others, such as myself, two hours on a Wednesday feels like downright laziness.

How can your brain function!?!? :eek:

Congratulations… this is the first time, but not the last time, that such a thing will happen to you.

It is not “the end of the world.” Now, go home, go through the denial process if you have to, and get that claptrap out of your system. You have a new job now, and that is salesman.

Your new job is, first, to clearly identify why a sensible businessman would find it in his best business interest to spend thousands of dollars a year to hire your professional services. You need to understand the product (“you”), create the “pitch,” package the product effectively, and start pounding the pavement (or the Internet, in this case). You need to do that, armed with the absolutely certain and unflagging knowledge that yes, that product is worth good money.

If you have doubts, follow Alfred Hitchcock’s acting advice to Ingrid Bergman, viz: “Ingrid, fake it. :smiley:

You will probably need to learn, at this time, just how to “sell.” It’s somewhat of an art, but it’s an honorable profession. There are lots of books about it.

Keep your options open. Your next job doesn’t have to be like your old one. It should leverage some of the skills that you picked up in your last one, but human-beings are adaptable: it doesn’t have to be exactly the same. Instead of looking hopelessly for something that is an exact fit to what you’re used to, rejecting all the others, be creative. It almost becomes a game to figure out how to successfully sell a refrigerator to an eskimo. (If you can “get to ‘yes’,” you win.)

Don’t look under the same old bushes that everyone else is looking under. You don’t have to go to work for LucasFilm or DreamWorks: they get a thousand resumes from hopefuls every day, because they’re obvious. Your new employer, with a new and interesting job, might be in the next block.

Thomas J. Watson, Sr., the founder of IBM, liked to tell the story of two shoe salesmen who were sent to Outer Pango-Pango to look for new sales leads. Each of them immediately wired back. The first said: “COMING HOME NEXT BOAT X NO ONE HERE WEARS SHOES.” But the second one said: “FABULOUS OPPORTUNITY X SEND ALL YOU HAVE X NO ONE HERE WEARS SHOES.” Corny, yes. Pithy, yes. Trite, yes. But Mr. Watson did know how to sell. And when he was out there, selling things, the cash-register was a new invention, a company kept all their books with ledgers and quill-pens, and the electronic computer was thirty years away.

Bummer… I know how you feel. I’ve been retrenched twice. The first time because my country was going thru political/economical strain, the 2nd time cause my boss was too greedy and lost the bussines. Both times without any compensasion… really hard times…
However, its propably the best thing that could’ve happen to me though! Now I have my own bussines, work from home, wife doesn’t have to work and we get to be with our kids during the day. Forgotten are the days when we didn’t know where the rent money would come from.
While I’m no millionaire, it is very liberating to be out of the 8am-5pm office hours rut. No more office politics, etc.
Anyway, we are all individuals with different needs and ambitions. I wish for you that this will be a time full of oppertunities.

Well, for the first few months I had no common sense and had to use a calculator for basic three digit addition and subtraction. I thought something was going wrong and I was actually becoming mentally retarded, but now I’m back to normal.

Back on topic, one thing I forgot to mention is don’t think you’re too good for a particular type of work. Growing up I thought I was too good for construction, but I spent the last winter in that particular field. It was the best job I’ve ever had.

Remember, you have expenses to cover. Just because you were a computer tech, don’t be too stuck up to take a job at a fast food place if you can’t find a job in your desired field by the time your bank account starts to run low. That job will pay your rent (assuming you’re not renting one of those fancy $1,000/month apartments), your utilities, put food on your table, and with proper budgeting, allow you enough left for ramblin’ or rovin’ or football or courtin’ or drinkin’ black porter as fast as you fill (free copy of my first shareware game (in the works) for the first person to tell me what song that line is from).

When I was doing contract work I had business in one of the larger towns in Missouri. While waiting for the testing center (no jobs for that week and I was going for MOUS certification) to open I decided to kill time and look around the area. I talked to a man who was obviously homeless, confirmed in the conversation, who told me that he was an accountant for eight years until the firm he worked for went under, after which he couldn’t find a job.

I offered him a job helping me, because even though I didn’t have any jobs that week, my dad was putting in a bid for a three acre lot that needed underbrushing. It was a huge job that took the better part of the summer. He said he couldn’t stand the woods.

So I pointed to the big help wanted signs hanging on McDonald’s, Wal-Mart, Save-a-lot, and three different gas stations.

He said “I spent four years and over ten-thousand dollars on my accounting degree, so I’m not going to waste it flipping burgers and pumping gas.”

In other words, don’t be afraid to work among the “little people.” Since the bulk of McDonald’s business is during the weekend they tend to give you your days off on weekdays. You can use those days to look for a job in your desired field while covering your expenses.

Thanks for the comments everybody I really appreciate it. I’m now looking for another job and will post when I get one. Actually I just saw on monster that IBM is hiring in a nearby town (South Bend, IN), and I might put in for that. Unfortunatly I would have a 2 hour commute everyday, and it’s just part time right now, but we’ll see.

dwmitch: I completely agree with you. I used to be a butcher/deli clerk some years back and would have absolutly no qualm going back to that or something similar. No way in hell would I let myself become homeless that’s just dumb.

Just like to say one more time thanks for all of the comments and hopefully I will have another job soon :slight_smile: , and I will post when I do.

First time it happened to me, I thought all sorts of things. Truth was, I had utterly no idea how to handle it. I took it personally. And nothing in all of my education or experience had trained me for it. I realized that I just didn’t know.

In later years, however, I became a contractor. Once I started selling my services (and writing bids and contracts and work-orders and all that stuff), I became very good at it. But “selling” was something that I had to learn from scratch. Whether you decide to be a contractor or an employee (next…) it’s just a very good thing to start viewing yourself as … well … expensive. :slight_smile:

The better you are at selling, the more likely you are to find a position that really satisfies you, and to be really satisfied in the position. If you find yourself once again in the situation of having to choose to walk, or of having been told to walk, you will also know how to make good of the situation in a matter of a few weeks… graciously.

“Selling” is something that happens in every business process, but line-employees are routinely insulated from it.

It would always behoove anyone in the CG field to remember this: you are very expensive. The work that you do is very expensive, because it is very “labor-intensive” and requires expensive hardware. The opportunities for “100% scrap-rate” in a production pipeline are very high. Quite a few people view themselves as artistes and strive for that pinnacle of artistic perfection, and can wax very eloquently (and truthfully!) about how good they are… but they neglect to talk about how they can help the team “bring home the bacon.” How they can work with the team to bring the project in on-deadline and on-budget. When you’re selling, you want to keep those things in mind. Remember that the hiring manager is “your customer.” Also, when that person does hire you, it’s because he/she felt that what you promised would be useful – and it’s now your obligation to deliver upon those promises, and to exceed them. That hiring-manager, and that entire team, is under very real pressures and deadlines. A good salesman always works to see the situation from the customer’s point-of-view: to discern the customer’s needs and to fill them.

It’s quite an upside-down perspective over the usual employee’s notion … that getting hired is either an act of charity or a foregone conclusion. :slight_smile: It is neither. It’s a business decision through-and-through. Expensive to make, and rather hard to get out of if you hired the wrong person!

This sounds exactly like a situation from “dogbert’s top secret management handbook”