I'm trying to do a woodsiding along with a metal roof for a house but....

I am having troubles. if I do many loop cuts and extrude several selections to make a wood siding it doesn’t look right, neither does using a array and stack the boards over each other. Anybody know how to do this or know of a tutorial for this>

The last questions i have is I’m trying to do a metal roof. If I use a plane I can make the metal ridges inside the plane thats not the issues. its where I have a triangle at the end sides. how ca I make ridges in the triangle so I can have about 7 ridges in that triangle? any advice would be appreciated.

I am having troubles. if I do many loop cuts and extrude several selections to make a wood siding it doesn’t look right, neither does using a array and stack the boards over each other. Anybody know how to do this or know of a tutorial for this>

The last questions i have is I’m trying to do a metal roof. If I use a plane I can make the metal ridges inside the plane thats not the issues. its where I have a triangle at the end sides. how ca I make ridges in the triangle so I can have about 7 ridges in that triangle? any advice would be appreciated.

I added a picture of the metal roof. I can do those metal ridges on a plane but not in a triangle.

I can’t see much details on the picture, i’m unsure if my old eyes see some planks put on top of each other or if there’s some extruded bar, a bigger picture would be more helpfull.
Additionally you should really post a screenshot and even better a blend of what you have obtained so far so we could give better help at what is your exact problem that i can’t see from your text description.

there are many kinds of siding we need more info.
And as for the tin i just do not follow.
can you post what you have here http://www.pasteall.org/

I’m not even going to try and imagine what you are talking about. Post some images of examples of what ur trying to accomplish.

oh you mean like a wood wall? like

just use an array. model the top most plank, take the front, top edge and push it back slightly to give you the slant then array it down the Z axis. done. too simple!
for the end roof section. select the triangle and seperate it then use the knife tool (K) to put in the loops you need for the ridges

Hello Fellow Blenders,

I was wondering if anybody can give me advice on two questions I have? I am trying to make a wood siding to a house but having issues. I have tried a plank using an array and that didn’t look right.
I also tried loop cuts and extruding so many faces out and it almost look OK. not sure if maybe if I bevel the corners in and made a inner extrude at the end of the boards were it meets the molding.

another question I have is, I like using blender render than cycles. The materials look great when mixed with cloud textures and the normal etc. I was wondering if anybody knows of any good tutorials on this? I want a black/ darkish brownish look with deep wood grains. thinking maybe using brush in sculpting cant find the wood brush?

a cement tutorial would be good too. As for metal roofing, I’m trying to make 7 small faces coming up between a triangle rood end then shingles along the side, having issues because of the triangle. Should I use sculpting? any info would be appreciated.

also, if anybody knows how they textures sentiel that would be great. I’m not sure if its regualr textures and the cool and warm lighting makes that animation look or if the textures were digital oil painted etc. It would be cool to find a tuturoial on that as well. I sighned up to be a citizen but having issues finding the tutorials. I keep seeing the free tutorials for non citizens and I heard there’s hundreds of tutorials on here for citizens.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]270110[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]270111[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]270118[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]270119[/ATTACH] sorry for the late replies, New to site and figured I would get an email saying someone has replied. so I went into my mail and found my latest post.

I’m not sure why the Array didn’t work out? But I suppose loopcut+extrusion works.

Tutorials on wood textures?
http://www.cgboomer.com/?p=1301 http://shiny-dynamics.blogspot.com/2012/04/wood-texture-for-blender.html
I’d say to use a normal / bump map for the displacement of the wood grain. It is possible to sculpt the wood grain by using a picture of wood grain as the texture for the sculpt brush, but it’s very poly-intensive for something that wont be noticeable unless your camera is millimeters from the surface.

Cement Tutorial: http://cgcookie.com/blender/cgc-courses/creating-a-lowpoly-concrete-barrier/ It’s not elaborate, but it’s a decent starting point.

As for the roofing, could use post and image or the .blend file to explain what you’re having difficulty with? I can’t make much sense out of just the words.

The Sintel team did release a few tutorials, but I can’t remember if any were on texturing and lighting. I didn’t see any on their tutorials page, but I believe there are a few texturing tutorials on their DVD as http://vimeo.com/26316330 would seem to indicate.

Yeah this is pretty easy. Small Troll seems to have answered you.

Now do the same thing with a plane apply the array and move the 4 planes so they are positioned like the 4 sides of a roof and use the knife tool to cut them and cover up the gaps with a cube edited to look like a V as in the picture. you posted. They picture below is just a corrugated type metal you see on warehouse walls. Same thing for the roof. Just change the shape of the curved part.

Thanks for posting. I know it seems easy but somehow I was messing things up. I did figure out if I used a subdivide I get better planks. I was using smooth and then doing loop cuts to the corners etc.

You wouldnt happen to know where good texture tutorials are would you? I would like to know how they textured the short animation Sintel. Not sure if it was regular textures with warm and cool lighting, Photoshop and digital paint, etc.

I’ve see Andrew prices realistic texture tutorials but still can’t get that Sentel look so I’m thinking its digital paint.