I'm wondering how Dmitriy Rybin makes these flares, but with Blender. Are they procedural?

Cross-posted in:

https://www.reddit.com/r/blender/comments/nzpbi7/im_wondering_how_dmitriy_rybin_makes_these_flares/

https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dmodeling/comments/nzpcr7/how_does_dmitriy_rybin_make_these_flares_in_a_3d/

1 Like

Looks like a bunch of animated little thingis (particles or animation nodes) and heavy use of motion blur, glare node (using fog, streaks and ghosts), DOF and bokeh.
And probably a bunch of other compositor effects.

2 Likes

So practically not an easy task and done without being generated in some way

Well, you will surely have to go through a lot of trial and error. But these types of thing are usually fun

If you want to learn how to create these things I would suggest:

• scattering a bunch of things on a torus.
  • make the torus invisible
  • give the bunch of things two or three different emission shaders
  • make a render and experiment with the glare node in the compositor.
  • then experiment with the bokeh node in compositor.
  • then animate the torus so that it rotates pretty fast and experiment with motion blur (not the compositor Motion blur as it is useless for rotating motion)
  • then experiment with depth of field in the camera
  • test other nodes in the compositor such as sun beams and stuff like that.

Once you get the hang of createing these light beam / light trail thingamajigs they are not actually that hard.

It might be that the torus in the example picutures have a glass material and are lit by strong colored lights. Some of the glowing thingises are then caused by glaring/blurring the reflections.

2 Likes

Wow, so cool! I’ll try that and if it comes as similar as his artworks, I will surely make a small tutorial on YT ahah

1 Like

Have you had any success with this?

Unfortunately not, I’m sorry

I had a 2 pronged approach to a realtime version in Eevee,

Using materials/geonodes combo and a studio HDRI for the lighting, so I can rotate that and get some cool looking streaks,

not totally done yet, but no compositer yet…

3 Likes

Now we’re talking!!

1 Like

how can i contact you

Hi,

@Sky_Rain

Im here…

1 Like

Dm me on here

rybin.zip (731.6 KB)

@Sky_Rain

I have no idea why you keep deleting yr own posts?

anyways, heres a file to look at.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Thank you very much, I saw you didn’t reply, so I deleted.