Image-based lighting with HDRI.

I decided to animate the pool table scene that I posted in a couple of threads about HDR lighting. There are no light sources other than the HDR image.
Billiard balls are by dzerbs and were downloaded from Blendswap.

The balls behavior looks a bit odd at one point, but that was the best I could get.

Steve S

Awesome work, Steve S! The lighting looks fantastic, as do the materials. I like the 8 ball eyes you’ve given Suzanne.

How many samples did you render your frames to? Whenever I’ve used high quality HDRI probes to render scenes, they’ve always rendered extremely noisy.

Thanks for the comments. I only rendered at 120 samples.

Steve S

Whenever I’ve used high quality HDRI probes to render scenes, they’ve always rendered extremely noisy.

Have you tried checking the box for Multiple Importance Sample? That seems to reduce the noise a little.

A couple questions…did you use Rigid Body physics on this, or was everything keyframed?

I’m also curious how you got your shadows without any additional lighting besides the hdri. Usually shadows are really soft with HDRI
The animation came out nice.

i would have even done one more stop darker on your setup steve… just to get the blooms as little as possible.also did you convert this to a equirectangular map? / shoot from a second angle to remove yourself from the lightprobe / fix up the zenith issue?

I just left it as an angular map. I’ll have to try shooting from two angles and converting to equirectangular. Do you just clone from one image to the other? And do you do this to each individual exposure, or can you clone after they’ve been combined into an HDR?

ETA: I just experimented with one of my HDRs and you can use cloning on an HDR.

Steve S

i would convert each to HDR… then throw it into a program called HDRShop… that should be able to handle the conversion over to equirectangular… and you should be able to match two panoramas up aswell.

Thanks. I’ve got HDRShop.

Steve S