Image compression

(bryanandhallie) #1

Every now and then while surfing elYsiun I come across a topic I find interesting and as I load it !Its full of pics too large for my little internet to load quickly! I think that It would be in everyones best interest to compress their pics prehand. I see that some files are way too big normally. I have a program that compresses normally with a 1 meg bitmap about 1 to 2% of the origional with NO qualitly loss.

Just an Idea, diddn’t want to sound harsh about it. Thanks for taking it into consideration anyone!

(z3r0 d) #2

people shouldn’t be posting bitmaps in the first place

(Falgor) #3

I wonder how they could even get their images bitmaps… Blender doesnt do that, does it? Anyway, you’d have to convert the image to bitmap first. And the size and the time to transfer a bitmap image to the site… why would anyone do that? I haven’t seen a bitmap on elysiun, as far as I can remember… Some images are big, though.

Broadband is quite ordinary these days, a common connection, so I guess people don’t think about modem users as much as they did back in the ollllddd days. Well, I always compress my images to jpg, usually quality 7 (high) or to quality 5 (medium) if it’s a less graphical pic or a joke pic.

I really recommend compression. Uncompressed images are for final pictures and for pictures to print. I guess image compression has got a lot to do with the internet. So compresso your expressos :stuck_out_tongue: .

(Goofster) #4

We cannot enforce image compression unfortunately, unless people use our “image attachment” option. When folks link to external images, we can only kindly inform that an image is too big.

Roel

(WhiteBoy) #5

A bitmap refers to any rasterized image, not just the BMP format. JPEGs and GIFs are considered bitmaps. PNGs are vector images.

I think that’s what he was referring to. So the problem is not that people are posting BMPs (which would take a while to download even on a broadband connection), it’s that the JPEGs people are posting are too large.

Although I think that it would be sad if they were to somehow automatically shrink images like that. Sometimes it’s necessary to post images that size so that you can show little details.

(theeth) #6

A bitmap refers to any rasterized image, not just the BMP format. JPEGs and GIFs are considered bitmaps. PNGs are vector images.[/quote]
PNG is a raster format too. You might have been thinking about SVG.

Martin

(Timothy) #7

I have a program that compresses normally with a 1 meg bitmap about 1 to 2% of the origional with NO qualitly loss.

This is not possible, compressing a 1mb image to 10~20k will always give you quality loss. There are lossless formats (like gif and png) but the compression is much lower.

(bryanandhallie) #8

Of coarce there would be SOME quality loss, nothing much to get excited about, but there are a LOT of pics here that could use reductions. I just think that it would be a good idea. I should start a poll…