image in UV editor is funky

(Villitz) #1

i opened an image in the UV editor and it is all slanty:
http://img459.imageshack.us/img459/7500/slanted9kg.jpg (its a circuit diagram, so it should be nearly all vertical surfaces)
i tried doing several different things but it always comes out like that. The image is a BMP. any ideas?

(Spin) #2

USE a TGA format, not JPG, and not BMP.

(lococobra) #3

ewwww… you really think he should use TGA? Is there something I dont know… cause I have always hated TGAs. (I would go with JPG)

(Modron) #4

for some reason blender has trouble digesting some bmp files, so basically, use any format other than .bmp

(Villitz) #5

thanks, it works now :smiley: . but… : i unwrapped the object and have the pic on it the way i want. its a black and white map, how do i get it so that i can change its material settings like a regular material?

(Spin) #6

A nonCompressed TGA is better than anything else, and it also can contain an Alpha channel.

A JPG is compressed, and results in a lesser quality in project. You don’t want your hard work looking like crap, all because of a flossy JPG.

TGA, is by far, the best choice in my opinion. Besides, that it is the format that Blender churns out when saving a UVmap.

(z3r0 d) #7

create an image texture, select the image you created

in the mapping tab of the material buttons with that texture selected set the mapping to uv [defaults to orco]

A nonCompressed TGA is better than anything else, and it also can contain an Alpha channel.

A JPG is compressed, and results in a lesser quality in project. You don’t want your hard work looking like crap, all because of a flossy JPG.

TGA, is by far, the best choice in my opinion. Besides, that it is the format that Blender churns out when saving a UVmap.[/quote]
or png, non-lossy compression and all the features of tga
[and is supported in many more applications and older versions of blender]

[the uvmap exporter exports a .tga because it is the easiest format to create manually… blender’s python interface doesn’t have a way to save images so the tga format was used because its so simple]