Image resizing

Hi,

I’m having a hard time uploading some work in the finished projects section; please see below.

The first 2 images I uploaded are 1920x1260, but when I post them they seem to be at 50%. I’ve checked and reuploaded (ensuring they are set to 100%) but to no avail.

Has anyone encountered this before?

Thanks

I just did some testing and can’t reproduce this. Could you zip and upload the originals so I can look into this?

Unfortunately I couldn’t upload as the file size was too big. This prompted me to save them in a different format and they seemed to upload fine this time.

Could it be the file size was the issue and automatically reducing the resolution is a feature? If so I apologise for the hassle.

AFAIK, the image limit size here is about 5 mb. Thus, if your image is more than 5.0mb - you couldn’t upload it. In my case, if my image is too large, I am using tools like Paint.NET to reduce its size. In most cases, I ending up with .jpeg/.jpg format and 3-5 mb. of size.

Anyway, it shouldn’t reducing its resolution, but bear in mind that when you’re uploading a picture, it’s automatically creates its thumbnail, which is, of course, would be much smaller than its initial size, but you still would have an access to the original image, simply by clicking on a thumbnail and then choose either download or original image at the bottom of an opened pop-up.

3 Likes

It could be that if you hit the filesize upload limit, client-side resizing kicks in to shrink your image. Could you email the files to [email protected]? I’d like to understand what’s happening here.

2 Likes

I will do. I’ve hit the limit before and adjusted the compression to bring the size under but there was no warning here which was unusual.

Are your image files > 5MB? That might explain it as the client-side resizing would kick in.

They were, but previously when that has been the case they have been rejected rather than resized.

Define ‘previously’? :slight_smile: This client-side resizing was added a year ago or so.

Try to convert all of your media to .jpeg format, make sure that each of your image is less than 5MB and just drop it here once again.

1 Like

Fair point, it may have been before then. Sorry for the confusion!

1 Like

So I was able to reproduce the issue with large PNG files and I’ll report that to Discourse. As a workaround, I could enable a setting to convert PNG to 99% quality JPG files - this will keep the file at the original size, although (slightly) lower quality. It would come at the additional benefit of reducing storage requirements.

Curious to hear everyone’s thoughts on that! cc @moderators

3 Likes

I’d have no issues with PNG ➔ 99% JPG compression, as long as the JPG compression module is high-quality. JPG compression modules tend to differ in overall output quality. For example, if you save a JPG at 50% quality from Photoshop, the image still looks great, but some other tools generate a crappy JPG using the same quality setting.

2 Likes

Doesn’t seem like an issue for me. I hadn’t fully appreciated how much larger the PNG files were so I’ll start using jpg in future.

2 Likes

A little late to reply, but it might be nice to have some side-by-side comparisons of PNG vs. Discourse’s JPG compression. That may help lay to rest anyone’s concerns about reduced image quality.

2 Likes