Image Sequence in Nodes

OK - I know this is super lazy of me to ask this when I should just go and find out for myself…

How does the Image-Sequence function in Blender Nodes work?

I’m using Blender Nodes to add texture and shading to some 2D Flash animation. From Flash I’m exporting a sequence of PNG’s. This way I have an alpha layer. So I end up with image0001.png, image0002.png … How can I get Blender Nodes to treat these as a sequence of frames?

Little icon in the bottom right corner will popup and let you choose from Image, Sequence, Movie, or Generated. Choose Sequence, set the # of frames in the aniomation in the top left field, the frame # to start on in the top right (you don’t have to start on frame # 0001.png), and if you want to start compositing the frames at some point in the render cycle other than frame #1 then tell it what frame to start compositing them in the “Offs:” field at the bottom left.

Generated images are Blender created images such as Image>New>UV Test Grid.

Thanks - but do I select a single image in the file browser, and let Blender detect the rest of the sequence, or should I select all the files, and Blender puts them in alphabetical order?

I just select a single texture and Blender figures out that it is a sequence.

It doesn’t matter which image you select from the sequence as long as you enter the parameters into the image node. You tell Blender that it’s a sequence, tell it which frames to use and when to use them. The last frame will however hold indefinitely so you need to Add a time node, connect that to a math node set to multiply X 1, then adjust the time curve to fade out (left side to the top, right side to the bottom), alpha over your sequence with whatever other elements you have, and finally connect the math node to the factor socket of the alpha over node. If you have a lengthy composition it becomes increasingly difficult to be precise with time nodes because you cant snap the curve points to the current time marker. In that case you’re better off adding any node based effects, rendering, reimport the result into the VSE and making any precision time adjustments there for final rendering.