Images in UV's don't render - done everything right as far as i know

Hi,

I recently changed from openSUSE 11.0 to Ubunto 8.04 Hardy Heron as the xgl used by compiz was crashing the rendering.

Everything’s now cool, with my installation but since i changed and started using the same version of the program, v2.45, i have not been able to render any faces that have got images on them.

I have followed the procedure for creating UV images on faces. I create an object, switch to UV Face Select Mode, select a face i want to change, open the UV Editor, do ALT-O to open an image on my hard-disk, open the image, confirm it appears on the UV Editor, go back to the 3d view and change to Object Mode, go to the Materials and Links, hit NEW MATERIAL, then change to the Shading sub-button and select and the Materials tab hit the TexFace button, and it starts showing on the 3d view when i go into Textured display mode, but when press F12 to render i get a blank face on that side.

On another file i get a black face on that face.

I thought it might be something to do with files, i changed the permissions just in case but that made no difference. I just can’t get images to shows on by Ubuntu 8.04 using Blender 2.45 software.

The only thing i haven’t tried but seems a bit silly is to try changing the Blender default renderer.

Help me, i’m really screwed, i really don’t want to go back to openSUSE 11.0 with plain no-frills KDE interface which is the only option at the monent.

Pablo.

Hm… might be something with the materials. Not sure. Maybe try uploading the .blend file? And another thing, might want to upgrade to Blender 2.48a. They have improved their UVing tools. Instead of having a face select mode, you just hit the U Key to enter it. Try it out, might help

Hi,

I was going to try upgrading, but seems for some reason the problem has gone away by itself. I had tried opening from opening different files to starting afresh,but still didn’t work. Also tried re-initiating the textures by deleting the material on the UV image of the face that refused to show-up in the render, but still didn’t work. Mysterious. Also everything was set up right. I checked and double-cheked everything and i’ve watched hundreds of YouTube videos on Blender, so i think it was alright. Now by magic it starts working all by itself. The only thing i can think of is that I closed-down Blender and opened up the ‘other’ Blender, because on my Ubuntu install the system loads two versions, “Blender (full-screen)” and “Blender (windowed)”… anyway, i opened the “Blender (windowed)” and tried all this again but it still didn’t work. Then more out of curiosity i thought i’d try opening-up the original Blender (full-screen) and it started to work!! Unbelievable, and now it works every time no problem, on both “Blender (full-screen)” and “Blender (windowed)” It’s as if the program has a soul or something and felt pity on me. Other than that i maybe it just got lucky and triggered some configuration routine that wasn’t done by running “Blender (full-screen)” by itself. That’s honestly all i can think of.

Other than that as i say i had resigned to try an upgrade.

Many thanks,
Pablo.

Hi,

Ok, i had some luck i admit and now it’s ran out. This is weird. Basically i was unable to get UV Images on objects’s faces to show on Render. They either showed up black or not at all. Tried a new scene, same result. Re-added the material, no result. Checked and everything was ok. Then i opened the windowed version of blender, and the full-screen version again and for some reason it started working. So i thought that was ok. ha ha.

Then i did a new scene. This scene has two UV images on each of my two cubes i created. On one it displays fine, when i render, and on the other it displays mysteriously black again. But it gets better, when i try rendering the same scene again no changes i get no images on any of the faces. Is that weird or what?

So my friends, could someone help me out here. Do i need to install a new Ubuntu to get the latest Blender or can i get away with using some trick to upgrading the Blender i’ve got already? (i’ve got version 2.45).

Many thanks,
Pablo.

Hm… Not quite sure. Can you upload the file to http://mediafire.com/ and then we can see the problem? That would really help! Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Thing is friend, i tried the same file on two PC’s, both with the same os and both with Blender 2.45 and they do exactly the same. Exactly exactly exactly.

I didn’t get this problem with Blender 2.45 on openSUSE 11.0 nor Blender 2.44 on openSUSE 10.3.

I can still send you the file if you want, but quite frankly it’s a bit pointless.

Thanks,
Pablo.

p.s. any idea how to upgrade Blender on Ubuntu?

EDIT: finally gave-up on Ubuntu 8.04 and downloaded Ubuntu 8.10 and burnt it. Tried it, and it works no problem, face drawing an all. Finally looks like i got what i wanted. Thanks. :slight_smile: