… just imagine.

13 Likes

Well, that would make c4d very angry… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

That .png though, ayyyeeee? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Brush Dynamics and Clone tool that works in 2D

2 Likes

Why c4d in partticular? :thinking: Never used it, did it become a meme?

1 Like

Because c4d is the only 3d app that has a full photoshop-like image editor built-in, just like in your imagination… so they would hate the competition… :wink:

2 Likes

I never voiced this but these were my thoughts exactly for quite a while now. One of Blender editors could be what Photoshop fails to be - a focused photo editing and compositing software with nodes support.

If I were any good in programming I would even give it a try to make it happen. Unfortunately, I am not.

Still, I am glad to see there are similar thoughts out there. :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s nothing more than half-serious mockup made with salvaged concepts from Photoshop, Krita and GIMP. My goal was to simulate interface with basic and widely used (arguably) tools for 2D graphics.

My personal dream aside from basic functionality is custom ICC profile support and basic printing toolset (measurement, dpi, guides).

I thought about 2D layers as nodes some time ago too. The issue with that is that node editor is taking much more sceen real estate than traditional layer panel. But the idea itself is not bad at all.

I know there’s already an app for digital painting I think that uses nodes. Haven’t tried it yet but the concept is very similar to how I see it can work in the software like Photoshop.

I really believe this concept can work in Blender and you would need just a handful of polished tools and features to make it a useful tool. Still would probably need a ton of work to make it happen.

It’s not the app I was talking about in the post above but it looks like people are trying to find a way to make a nodes based digital art / image editing apps. Discover it purely by accident.

1 Like

Very interesting, thanks for the link.
Thou you can see how small is the preview in that software. Basically unless you have second monitor you are sacrificing a lot of space for an empty UI.

This is the app I was talking about. It’s way more realized than the example in my previous post.

I agree that successfully implementing nodes in such workflows is an UI issue. I don’t have a solution but see it as an advanced feature that should be accessible but the main focus could still be in layer based approach for simpler operations. Probably some hybrid approach like the one that exists in Modo could be applicable here.

1 Like

Yep, this one is a lot better. And those brushes looks very cool!
I might spend some free time to refine the mockup in the first post, so that kind of info is very helpful.

Hi all,

(I am actually the author of Gimel Studio, which @AlexeyAdamitsky had mentioned, just so your aware.)

As was stated, this isn’t a new idea to have a (node-based) image-editor/painting application -especially the idea of one in blender. (Actually, I know of at least three other open-source node-based image editing projects besides my own.)

This is one of the downsides of a “traditional” node-based editor: it takes a lot of screen real-estate.

I am not really sure what the best solution to it is, but a hybrid layer/node is an idea I’ve heard quite a bit. Though, this is difficult to implement correctly and it kinda complicates things (from my experience) as layers don’t always translate so smoothly into nodes and vice-versa very well (Therefore, the user can’t always think of them in the same way).

An idea I had was to have a separate “Node Graph” for each “layer” in the stack (this could be related to how “node groups” work in blender’s compositor), which would each be their own “node” (to represent a layer) in a “master” Node Graph. Though, this probably doesn’t work in all situations.

Sorry if that was confusing…just an idea. Maybe someone has a better idea of how that could work. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would love to see if this would eliminate the need to switch to GIMP or Photoshop for post-processing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Been dreaming of this since 2006-ish. Not particularly waiting for expecting it now since it would take a dedicated developer.

But with the UV editor separated from the image editor now and with the development of grease pencil I do think it is more viable than it has been ever before.

3 Likes

Would love to see a vector graphic, inkscape integration. I know what svg’s can be imported, but for some tasks it is still easier to work in the svg format. Aligning elements is so much easier in inkscape, probably because it is only 2d

Just normal traditional layers, in UI terms. But similar to how photoshop has layer effects it could have layer modifiers/effects stack where each effect is a customizable node tree and opens that node graph. The layer itself could still have the typical blend-modes too thus making it a hybrid solution.

Similarly “filters” as they exist in PS, gimp, what-have-you… could/would be nodal/graph based post processes.

2 Likes

I think screen real-estate is not that big of a problem for Blender users. A lot will have at least two screens. I mean, using Blender (or any DCC) on a single screen is a terrible experience anyway.

And for people who really want to go through the pain an use a single monitor perhaps there could be a view where high level nodes are “stacked” like a layer system in PS. You could dive into the nodes at any time but you could also use them in a traditional layer system way without ever going into them. Excempt that you 'd have more fine tuning possiblities with nodes.

I think that is what geometry nodes is trying to accomplish for modifiers. So perhaps the same principle could be used for stacking layers.

This is actually almost exactly what I meant by the idea I posted. :grinning:

The “problem” (if you want to call it that) I see though, is working out how things like paint tools are implemented. Unless the node Queues each stroke, etc or another “node” is added to the graph for each stroke it’s no longer truly non-destructive. And, maybe that’s not a problem as undo/redo is maybe alright for that?