Import/Export Scripts problem on Ubuntu

I am currently using Ubuntu as my operating system, and use Blender frequently under it. There is one problem that I am having and would like to fix: the import and export scripts do not work. I believe that scripts work in the game engine. I know for sure that Python is on my computer and this operating system. Thanks for your help!

look for Pyhtonpath install on this forum ( …there was a sticky before…)

If I remember :

add in /home/YOU/.bashrc

export
PYTHONPATH=/usr/…:usr/…etc…

I found this post with a quick search, and followed its directions. This is the terminal session that I ended up with:
$ python
Python 2.4.3 (#2, Oct 6 2006, 07:52:30)
[GCC 4.0.3 (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu5)] on linux2
Type “help”, “copyright”, “credits” or “license” for more information.
>>> import sys
>>> print sys.path
[’’, ‘/usr/lib/python2.4’, ‘/usr/lib/python24.zip’, ‘/usr/lib/python2.4/plat-linux2’,
‘/usr/lib/python2.4/lib-tk’, ‘/usr/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload’,
‘/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages’, ‘/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages’,
‘/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/HTMLgen’, ‘/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Numeric’,
‘/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/PIL’, ‘/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cairo’, ‘/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gst-0.10’,
‘/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gtk-2.0’]

and this is what I added to .bashrc:

export PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib/python2.4:
/usr/lib/python24.zip:
/usr/lib/python2.4/plat-linux2:
/usr/lib/python2.4/lib-tk:
/usr/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload:/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages:
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages:
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/HTMLgen:
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Numeric:
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/PIL:
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cairo:
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gst-0.10:
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gtk-2.0

in the path lists, I just added a new line for each for easier readability. I rebooted the computer and it still didn’t work. What do I do now?

give us some more information…

-witch script ?
-what’s written in console ?
-…

If terminal is the same as console, then that post has all that information. I typed “python” in terminal then hit enter and it came up with this:
Python 2.4.3 (#2, Oct 6 2006, 07:52:30)
[GCC 4.0.3 (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu5)] on linux2
Type “help”, “copyright”, “credits” or “license” for more information.

After that, I typed in “import sys” and hit enter, then typed “print sys.path” and hit enter which brought up this:
[’’, ‘/usr/lib/python2.4’, ‘/usr/lib/python24.zip’, ‘/usr/lib/python2.4/plat-linux2’,
‘/usr/lib/python2.4/lib-tk’, ‘/usr/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload’,
‘/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages’, ‘/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages’,
‘/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/HTMLgen’, ‘/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Numeric’,
‘/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/PIL’, ‘/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cairo’, ‘/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gst-0.10’,
‘/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gtk-2.0’]

I used that information to determine what I needed to put into /home/ME/.bashrc which ended up being this:
export PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib/python2.4:
/usr/lib/python24.zip:
/usr/lib/python2.4/plat-linux2:
/usr/lib/python2.4/lib-tk:
/usr/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload:/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages:
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages:
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/HTMLgen:
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Numeric:
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/PIL:
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cairo:
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gst-0.10:
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gtk-2.0

Does that clarify things?

Karpov is talking about the blender console… Type “blender” in your terminal, and blender will open in its own window, but will output useful messages to the terminal (that blender terminal session is what is called the blender console). For example, it will output if your python was found or not.

Actually to see blender internals messages on linux it is always better to launch blender from the terminal, not from the start menu icon…

Ok, that helps a lot. When I try to run an import/export script, it says that it had an error loading the file and couldn’t locate the script. I looked in the directory where they are supposed to be, and I just found a bunch of links to those .py files that were all broken. Those scipts are nowhere to be found on my system! I know what to do from here, I will just copy into the correct location from somewhere else. Thank you tremendously for your help.

Now, though, I have another problem. There are several export scripts (i.e. Nendo and Wings3D) where this error comes up in the console:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “<string>”, line 77, in ?
File “/home/esau/.blender/scripts/bpymodules/meshtools.py”, line 44, in ?
meshtools.print_boxed(msg)
NameError: name ‘meshtools’ is not defined

Actually I use windows and ubuntu on the same computer and I have a directory accessible from both, where I put all my scripts… In blender user preferences, you set up that dyrectory as python scripts path, and that’s it…