Import/Export Skin Weights?

Yes, you can make significant changes (to mesh or armature) without reweighting a model. Blender’s weights are stored in vertex groups, stable vertex data that’s interpolated automatically on most operations like subdivision, and persists through translation of vertices.

For your example, translating both mesh and armature, there’s no conceivable need to reweight.

Yes, you can make significant changes (to mesh or armature) without reweighting a model. Blender’s weights are stored in vertex groups, stable vertex data that’s interpolated automatically on most operations like subdivision, and persists through translation of vertices.

Yes, I had noticed that the weights remain stable even with multiple modifiers (mirror, subdivision) applied to the mesh, and when you make changes to those modifiers. That’s what got me thinking . . .

I’m a longtime Maya user and a Blender noob, so this is going to require changing some old habits. In a good way – I’ve been using Blender for a few weeks now and have constantly been impressed. It’s an amazing piece of work.