"Import Images as Planes" and Photoshop Layers

Hi there,
I don’t know if this is the right place for this, but I couldn’t think of where else to post this question.
When you use the “Import as Planes” option, you get the choice to load .psd files. Is there a way to have it load each layer (in the photoshop file) as a plane?
Thanks
M

1 Like

Would it be more efficient to have photoshop export them as numbered, individual stills? The Blender import-as-frames function names the files by their original name and so doing the export (to individual files) through photoshop would at least give you control over the naming of each layer.

Good thought though. I would suggest another idea: if there is a “layers” feature in the planes-image import, perhaps it would be more useful as importing the layers as frames for an animated plane (movie).

1 Like

Cool… I didn’t think of that. I’ll give it a shot.
But… to be able to do this… kind of like they way After Effects works, would be great.
:slight_smile:
M

1 Like

Reviving this ancient thread. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’d love to use Blender for an animated 2D infographics animation.

Having the option to import PSD file layers as planes would push Blender a lot more in the direction of an After Effects / Apple Motion competitor.

Some questions:

1. Does anyone happen to know if there’s an add-on for this?
  2. Or is the VSE maybe capable of importing PSD layers, maybe via the Power Sequencer or VSEQF add-ons? (CC: @nathan_gdquest, @tin2tin)
  3. Or could layered TIFF files be a workaround?
  4. Is the VSE capable of importing sequentially named images as separate strips in stead of combining the images to a video segment as one strip?

Many thanks in advance.

I do not have Photoshop, but there seems to be a function for exporting each layer: Layers to Files…(58 sec): https://youtu.be/AJrpVlDpEuM?t=58
And in Blender you need to enable the “Import Images as Planes” add-on - it is included in Blender:

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll look into this.