Import OBJ but using existing material ?

(Alain) #1

Hi

I wanna import an OBJ-File (it contains already materialnames for example “groundfloor”).
In my Blender file I’ve already a set of materials (Cyclematerials) with the same names as in the OBJ-File.

But when I import the OBJ-File Blender always creates new materials. Instead of using the existing material “groundfloor” Blender creates a new material named “groundfloor.001”.

What do I have to do that Blender assigns automaticly existings materials to the imported OBJ-File ?

Or are there some other methodes, maybe a plugin ?

BTW: The same happens when I import a material from another Blenderscene. I wanna replace the existing material and not create a new material.

Edit:
There should be 2 options when an Obj-File get’s imported and if it has an existing Material:

1. Use the existing Material in the Blenderfile instead of the imported one
  2. Use the Material from the imported File
    And a Checkbox: Always do the selected action when a material already exists in the Blenderfile

Kind regards
Alain

(ridix) #2

Sound like you only want to import the Objects mesh. You can “Append” mesh information only you know.

(Alain) #3

How do you mean that ?

Can you discribe please in detail how you would do that ?

Edit:
When I only import the Mesh then nothing happens in the Blenderscene.
When I only import the Object then Blender creates a new *.001 Material

So how is the workflow to use existing materials automaticly ?

Kind regards
Alain

(Alain) #4

This is not possible in Blender, right ?

Kind regards
Alain

(Alain) #5

Can somebody help me please ?

Kind regards
Alain

(karamelo) #6

I cannot import large obj meshes too. Blender eats all the memory and crashes the os. Tested 2.58 - 2.61. I think its time to report a bug.

(Scrible) #7

How large are your files? Importing a mesh with 8.75 million polygons in .obj format (372MB) worked flawless for me using 2.61. Though memory usage increased to a total of max. 7.4GB while importing.

edit: sorry Alain for going off topic. But since you got this on Campbell’s toDo list, it probably will work sooner or later. :slight_smile:

(Quandtum) #8

To my knowledge you won’t be able to import a mesh with a material name and have it auto-magically map to a same name material in Blender (or any application for that matter). You will have to select the mesh and use the material pulldown to re-assing to the new material. It’s really not difficult and even with a few dozen materials doesn’t take all that long to do.

Beyond that, you could try to delete the .mtl file (material library) with the .obj but I doubt that will do it. MeshLab I think has some tools to do this, but it’s such a detailed application that I haven’t been able to successfully do anything regarding materials with it. I know that doesn’t answer your question, but hopefully helps to get some direction.

(Alain) #9

I’m sure you don’t wanna waste your time with re-assigning 30 materials in a scene every time you update it.
My Workflow in architecture visualization is modelling in Sketchup (because it’s very easy, fast and intuitive to use), exporting to an OBJ-File and importing it in Blender. In Blender I add vegetation (tenthousand of instanced grass patches, trees and so on because Cycles supports instanced Objects and saves me ALOT VRAM).
And normaly I have to modify my Sketchup-Modell 3, 4 or n-times because the customer wants some changes.
So I have to restart importing it an assign my 30 materials again… I’m sure you wouldn’t wanna do such a boring and timeconsuming task :wink:

It’s no problem to expand the OBJ-Importscript with an automaticly “Assign existing Materials-Function” (Cambpell told me it wouln’t be such a big task for him ;-)).

Kind regards
Alain

(jachtarfranko) #10

Alain, thanks you for this initiative. I very need this feature too. It is boring after import obj re-assign the same material again and again.

(Quandtum) #11

Sorry, I was trying to offer you possible workarounds. If you are questioning my personal workflow, it’s usually a mute point, I don’t usually have to do multiple exports/imports. In the event that I actually do, I want to simplify the scene and reduce memory (in other words I want my models to be complete, but if something is obscured, I don’t want the textures loaded, same as you, VRAM consideration). I also like to examine every material (even though I have nodes pre-built) to ensure correctness.

Too bad he can’t also fix the importer such that it has the 2.49b options. Often when I import mesh I need it separated by material otherwise the import fails. Right now I import to 2.49b, save the blend and append to a new scene in 2.61. I long for the days I don’t need 2.49b anymore.

(jachtarfranko) #12

Any news with: OBJ-Importscript with an automaticly “Assign existing Materials-Function” , please ?
It´s annoying again and again fix material, material.001, material.002, material.003 …
Thanks.

(Alain) #13

With the help of Calli (the autor of the german Blenderbook “Das Blender-Buch”) I expandet the script with a checkbox-option “Use Blender-Materials”.
It works pretty well and covers all my needs now.
I hope it does for you as well :slight_smile:

Just overwrite the two files in the …\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.61\scripts\addons\io_scene_obj with the ones in the attached Zipfile.

I’ve only tested it for Window.

Edit:
See the Post below for the update of the Script, this one here does not work anymore.

Kind regards
Alain

Attachments

io_scene_obj_use_existing_materials_01_05022012.zip (12.8 KB)

(jachtarfranko) #14

Alain, very, very thanks. It works perfectly, will save a lot of my time.
I have blank file with tens of my tuned materials and I often import into this file objects with tens of materials. These materials have the same name and with this patch they are immediately assigned according its name…
A couple of second after import, I can render with tuned materials. It is fantastic, could be in trunk, i think.
Again, thanks.

(Alain) #15

I sended the patch to Campbell (the autor of the script) for a review. I hope he did not forget it :wink:

Edit:
The patch should be added in all kind of Importfunctions.
Also by importing Objects from other Blender-Files.
But I’m not able to do that.

Kind regards
Alain

(Alain) #16

I just updated the Patch with the newst Build (blender-2.62-r45133, Sun Mar 25 03:09:10 2012).

You can download it here:
www.archiviz.ch/download/io_scene_obj_25032012.zip

Kind regards
Alain

(jachtarfranko) #17

Alain thanks, I had no hope :slight_smile: , but after opening this file, it is empty, only 160 B size.

(Alain) #18

Sorry, my mistake :o
The Zipfile is not empty anymore now :slight_smile:

(jachtarfranko) #19

Thanks, works well, I think again, It should be in trunk, very useful feature. :slight_smile:

(Alain) #20

Maybe if you try to convince Campbell as well he will include into trunk :slight_smile:

Here is my “Patch”-Tracker (or how ever it’s called ;-)):
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?func=detail&aid=30380&group_id=9&atid=127

So pls leave a comment there.

Kind regards
Alain