Importing DFX files from Terragen

Rhysy 2:
Well I saw the plane bounce up and down. Then I subdivided it and saw it bend as well during animation. If I turn “Cycl” off it goes flat for some reason. I wonder if there is a way of stopping it moving during animation - I thought sonixsculpt’s suggestion was to use it in a non-moving terrain…

i’ll post a screen shot top down and explain.
http://www.dm7.net/albums/album07/example.jpg
as you can see there are two faint perple lines running down the side of the landscape

adding the plane makes the physical size (top down) of all the pieces(seperate meshs) equal to each other.

as you can see in the screen shot.

this helps line up all the textures when applied (flat , orco) this makes the texture rendered in terragen line up perfectly with the features on the terrain (try texturing without doing this and you will understand)

why did i delete one edge?
to get rid of the face (so it would not be rendered)
and because you don’t need it.

hope that answerd the question.

i suppose you could do a texture using uv mapping instead.

[quote="LukeW I can’t find anything called “Wave Length” and I can’t set things like “height” and “width” to 300… BTW, I’m using Blender 2.23. I tried it on a plane which I subdivided a couple times. I’ve tried lots of kinds of lighting but it doesn’t seem to work at all. Could you explain how to do it in 2.23 - i.e. what values I need to change, etc? (The exact names of things) .[/quote]

It seems as though you may not have created a wava aniimation but a particle animation.

To far the right of the Add Effect there is a button one of the usual Blender white minus burrons, presss and select Wave.
The Wave properties sliders should now be there.

If you have already done this that’s all good, If someone reads this who has upload space for th Blend file I’ll gladly send it to you

Sonix

Thanks alltaken, I understand now. Adding planes will be quicker than learning UV mapping…

I now have a 513*513 Terragen landscape in Blender ! I’ll do some texturing and lighting and post a pic to prove it…

Hi,
I was in the “wave” area… the buttons it has are things like “Sta x”, “Sta y”, “Speed”, “Height”, “Width”, “Narrow”, “Time sta”, “Lifetime”, “Damptime”, “X”, “Y” and “Cycl”. I can’t see a property called “Length”. Also, did your tip about having two sets of waves on the terrain involve non-moving waves or animated waves? During an animation it wouldn’t be very realistic for hills to move…

alltaken/Rhysy 2:
If you have terrain that is in large pieces in blender you will be able to see the joins in it if you are close enough and you are using smoothing…

Sorry, I implied length meaning wave Lifetime.

I wouldn’t advise you to use this method for animations, as you correctly pointed out, the waves will move.

I use this method for Still renders.

Sonix.

i was talking about his idea… DOH!!!