importing obj files into Blender

I’m experimenting with importing a .obj model into blender 2.68a. When the object comes into blender it is often not subsurfed and is all triangles.

normally I would think that you would need to convert tris to quad, but the conversion doesnt seem to be going to well. Is there anyway to just leave them all tris and still use subsurf if needed?

If not, is there anything else I should be doing while importing or immediately after.

When the object comes into blender it is often not subsurfed and is all triangles.
The obj importer doesn’t triangulate your mesh, that would mean either the original model was already triangulated or the export settings were set to triangulate the mesh.
Subsurf settings are not part of the obj format so you wouldn’t be able to transfer that data.

normally I would think that you would need to convert tris to quad, but the conversion doesnt seem to be going to well. Is there anyway to just leave them all tris and still use subsurf if needed?
What does this mean ?

What does this mean ?

Prior to posting, When I experimented with converting from tris to quads… it did it, but still a bunch of tirangles remained and when I tried to apply subsurf it got pretty ugly.

The obj importer doesn’t triangulate your mesh, that would mean either the original model was already triangulated or the export settings were set to triangulate the mesh.

Well Im sure the model was done in some other 3d program and maybe was exported that way… I found it on a 3d model site.

Subsurf settings are not part of the obj format so you wouldn’t be able to transfer that data

So should I assume that I can’t do any kind of subsurfing if it is all triangles?

Sorry but I just haven’t worked with .obj models before.