Importing parent+child from library?

I’m confused about how to use the file->append menu option (I’m using V 2.28 at the moment if that matters).

I have several .blend files containing elements I want to use in a larger simulation (after having read the documentation further, I wonder if I shouldn’t have simply used layers or multiple scense in the same .blend file, but I’m sure my current situation must come up anyway).

I’ve tried to import the objects I want from the .blend files using file->append and I see a very promising “LOAD LIBRARY” button. However, doing so only seems to load a single object from the file.

“No problem” I think, I’ll just group the objects I want into a single object and import that.

“What? Blender has no ‘group’ option — oh I see, there’s ‘parent’ …”

So, naively assuming that ‘parent’ replaces the functionality I expect from a ‘group’ option, I make all the objects I want children of a parent object.

Then I go back to file->append and select the parent object. But no joy! I only get the parent object — no children.

I could import these files object-by-object (there’s maybe 10-50 objects in each), but it would be laborious, and there’s got to be a better way [TM].

What am I doing wrong here?

Hi !

You seem to like antiques, because the current version of Blender is 2.36 !

This version has more feature for placing the imported objects in a Scene.

When I began using Blender, the current version was 2.31, so I’m not sure of what was possible in 2.28 in your case

I think that you could try to select all the objects you want, in the Object library with the right mouse button. The selected lines should be highlighted in blue.

Then right click on the Load library button, and all the objects will be imported.

Beware that they will imported ont the layer they were placed in the file they come from ! So, it is a good think to show every layers when importing objects from other files.

The imported objects are also placed at the coordinate that were theirs in the former file. If the scale of the two files are not the same, the objects can be very big or very small. In this case, you can have some difficulties to find them in the new file ! You’ll have to find them and rescale them to match the scale of your current scene.

Imported objects are always selected when imported. Unselect all the objects in the current file before importing an object. new objects will be easier to find, because they will appear in bright pink.

The home button of the keyboard enlarge the window field in order to show all the objects. This can help you to find them.

Sometimes, you think that objects have not been imported (you only didn’t see them because of thir small size), and you try to re-import…
later, you could find strange little dots…they are objects !

Good luck !

And download the 2.36 !

Philippe.

When you toggle the

Oh, ha ha. %|

It’s the version in Debian “Stable” IIRC. I’m looking into upgrading it today to 2.36 (which is in “Unstable”). I’ve just started learning it after having it sit around for most of a year — note the sig. But as Blender was “mature” “production code” at 2.0, I wouldn’t have expected it to be that different.

This version has more feature for placing the imported objects in a Scene.

Okay, sounds promising.

I think that you could try to select all the objects you want, in the Object library with the right mouse button. The selected lines should be highlighted in blue.

Yep, “click items with the right mouse button, get a blue highlight, all selected items import”. Discovered that minutes after I posted the above (why does that always happen?). Works okay, although that’s still pretty painful — it would make more logical sense to respect the parent/group relationships in the original file, ISTM. Still, it’s good to know I’m not an idiot.

Perhaps this will get better with the upgrade.

Beware that they will imported onto the layer they were placed in the file they come from ! So, it is a good thing to show every layer when importing objects from other files.

The imported objects are also placed at the coordinate that were theirs in the former file. If the scale of the two files are not the same, the objects can be very big or very small. In this case, you can have some difficulties to find them in the new file ! You’ll have to find them and rescale them to match the scale of your current scene.

Nah. That’s exactly what I’d hope for — the obnoxious thing would be if the objects forgot their locations and all imported at the origin. Then I’d lose my carefully composed groups.

You see I composed a file to use to model 0.3" and 0.6" DIP package IC chips — but I wanted to be able to do any number of pins. So each chip is actually a series of identical segments representing the middle of the chip, with special “head” and “tail” segments. So I can do anything from a 4-pin opto-isolation device to a 40-pin 8051 chip. But they’re not one object.

The home button of the keyboard enlarges the window field in order to show all the objects. This can help you to find them.

Yep, sussed that.

The interface is off-putting when you get started, but I’m warming up to it. It’s able to hold an enormous amount of options which is always a design challenge in a GUI program. Commercial CAD programs often give up at this level of complexity* and resort to a command-line system. But that’s really clunky. The Blender design is better — no doubt because the writers actually intended to use the program. :wink:

[quote]And download the 2.36 !/quote]

Yeah, I’ll probably do that now that I’m seriously learning Blender. I’ve been at it all of four days now. :smiley:

Getting results already, though, which is moderately impressive. I figured the learning curve would be steeper than it is. Many new illustrations of mine will be coming from Blender, I can see now. 8)

Thanks and nice to meet you. :slight_smile:

*To be fair, it’s been a long time since I seriously looked at one, but I think this is still largely true.

Oh, ha ha. %|

It’s the version in Debian “Stable” IIRC. I’m looking into upgrading it today to 2.36 (which is in “Unstable”). I’ve just started learning it after having it sit around for most of a year — note the sig. But as Blender was “mature” “production code” at 2.0, I wouldn’t have expected it to be that different.[/quote]

Just a note - the Debian release cycle and what version of Blender they choose to include has absolutely no bearing on how stable that actual Blender version is. I don’t know where you get the idea that Blender 2.0 is “mature production code” - it’s not necessarily the case here that older is more stable, especially since nobody is maintaining the older trees and backporting fixes. For example Blender 2.36 was a bugfix only release, which cleaned up hundreds of bugs, some of which were many years old.

Blender’s version numbers move slowly, though that’s not really indicative of the amount of development that goes in. Blender 2.0 was released nearly 5 years ago, and it’s quite ancient by today’s standards.

Yeah, quite. However, what version the Debian package is does have a bearing on how functional/broken the packaging is.

Blender’s version numbers move slowly, though that’s not really indicative of the amount of development that goes in. Blender 2.0 was released nearly 5 years ago, and it’s quite ancient by today’s standards.

NaN was producing videos using it ergo it was “production” code. “That’s logic!”, as Tweedle-dum would say. The myth of “bitrot” notwithstanding, code does not actually decay when left to sit. I did use quotes, after all. :wink:

Don’t take me too seriously — I’ve already upgraded to 2.36 without any problems. I was just returning a flippant reply to a flippant criticism. I do hope we’re all having fun here. :wink:

The menus look a little different now (for one thing, they look more like menus in other programs). That’s probably a good thing, although I’m reserving judgement until I’ve used it for awhile. Being able to hide them is somewhat useful for reducing the visual clutter. Best of all, they do of course look more like the menus in the 2.3 documentation, which is, I must say much better written/edited (and complete) than the 2.28 was (Kudos to the authors should they ever read this).

Will explore the append options today most likely.