Importing SVG and creating a mesh from it

I’m having problem creating an 3D logo from a SVG 2D logo.
I’m really new in blender, but I’m have already used some CAD software and inkScape/vector programs and I just Love Gimp!

I’m using Blender v2.68 on a Win 8 machine.

The problem is that I wanna do some curved shape from an SVG, so I tried using a mesh created from the SVG, but this mesh is completely crazy and unusable.
See, Left Blender, Right InkScape:

This completely “crazy” and “unusable” is one which best suits hardware rendering requirements. Narrow stripes of triangles which help bringing into RAM needed texture parts.

To convert it into something which you can model further use Delete - Limited Dissolve for all selected vertices and then Inset (i) faces to create nice quad outline which helps to hold n-gons. Manually subdivide them where needed after added Subdiv modifier using j on 2 selected vertices or k - Knife tool.

Hmmmm. When I import an SVG it doesn’t look anything like what you have there. I get all bezier curves in Blender, which you can manipulate from the Object Data panel (see screenshot). Did you convert the curves to a mesh after import?

The main reason I convert my curves to a mesh is if I need my imported SVG to bend around a curve or participate in a simulation. Otherwise, Safetyman’s suggesting of leaving it as a renderable curve is a good one.

I often follow up a convert to mesh with a ReMesh modifier on the resulting object. Turn off Remove Disonnected Pieces and turn up the Octree to 6 or 7. Apply the modifier and you will find that your topology is greatly improved. The down side to this technique is that you end up with a much more dense mesh. It really depends upon what your final usage is going to be for your imported SVG.

Here is a font curve converted to a mesh and a ReMesh modifier applied. Notice there are no triangles and the topology is fairly even across the surface. This is the result of the ReMesh modifier re-modeling your mesh for you.

Attachments

I’ve tried it, but when doing the >Inset, I got problem with leaking edges. Edges get out of the shape. And doing it manually, vertice by vertice would take much more work then creating an new mesh from zero.

Also,I have tried doing >Delete - Limited Dissolve and then >subdivide, but it didn’t worked, the resulting shape ir non editable, also, I can’t modify it in the Sculpt Mode.

Thanks!

Nice work, I just wanna something like this, but when doing the remesh, the object disappeared!

My main objective is create an animation, starting from the the letters, passing trough the logo, ending showing everything. But I wanna add imperfections, rust and other things to the logo and letters. Also, the camera is going to travel inside objects, that I wanna to have fluids and particles inside.
Any help suggestion would be of extreme thankfulness.

I probably wouldn’t start fixing 2 long sentences this way, however 2 or 3 words takes no time to deal with leaks. Cut using J near the biggest offenders, add some loopcuts to hold corners sharp. If there is something unbearable left delete n-gon and Grid Fill selected loop.
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/24406

Thanks for the answer and to try it out.
Sorry to say that, but look at the file you uploaded, the horizontal faces are non editable! At least not on the Sculpt Mode.

The blender really looks like the inkscape, a really good program, in development, with lots of tools yet to be deployed or upgraded.

The simplest way to solve this would just choose the way the mash conversion works, should be an option to convert to triangles and optimize rendering, or chose the square shapes for more convenient edition…

BTW, You are really fast with blender! It’s like me using Gimp, people are scared the way I can do things in it…

I’m really disappointed and pondering if I should give up of this ambitious project (for a first blender project). What should be a simple task looks like an nightmare.

when doing the remesh, the object disappeared!

This is because the Remove Disconnected Pieces is turned on by default. Try my suggestion of turning off the checkbox and increasing the Octree before giving up.

give up of this ambitious project

It does sound ambitious for a 4 post user, but I don’t know how long you have been using Blender before posting.

But I wanna add imperfections, rust and other things to the logo and letters
This is best done to mesh, not a curve (which can not be unwrapped). After you have nice mesh topology unwrap the letters/logo. Then you can use displace or dirt maps to add the illusion of imperfections to the surface without having to model them. This is done with materials, not sculpting or modeling. Some people find material work easier.

Which object’s faces you refer to? Horizontally laid letters are just to demonstrate steps to get the final - vertically positioned, bent object No5.
If you want it sculpted you have to apply Subdiv and Bend before.
I’d say rust and some smaller imperfections can be mimicked using displacement then bake textures, including normalmap. For bigger cracks - model roughly bigger shapes, bump it by texture later.

Some particle debris can be ‘glued’ to the surface, giving supposedly nice effect.

Here is some scratching using dyntopo on it

First, it is not my thread but thanks to everyone for the tips!
I am very interested in this topic. I have experienced for a few days with this and it is really a pain.

I did not know the use of this modifier. But maybe that happens because you must first extruded to obtain a three-dimensional mesh.

What I do is import the svg. Convert the curve to mesh. Select the mesh and “Set origin to Geometry” (not necessary but to be more neat). From edit mode select all and remove doubles. “X”> Limited Dissolve. “E” and extrude (I do not know if it’s needed here recalculate normal with Ctrl+N). At this point the mesh looks pretty good, but if you choose “Smooth Shading” from the left panel, the mesh looks really bad. Then what I do is apply the “Edge Split” modifier. But I’ve noticed that before applying Edge Split, doing what “Atom” has indicated with ReMesh modifier I get better results when applying for example Boolean modifier to intersecting the mesh with another mesh applying Boolean, and then also Edge split for better looking with Smooth Shading.

What I have not been yet able to achieved, is to get hard beveled edges (only the Bevel modifier that applies a very soft bevel). What I had said was once it is converted to mesh.

@YAFU: if you want bevel, do it while text is not converted - curve properties. Or move outer edge loop after I inset slightly down Z. Add creasing on N-panel, top to selected edge loops. Edge split mod might work too.

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/60284

Thanks. Yes, I just checked. If I wanted a beveled text is better extruding and setting the bevel from the curve settings, and then converting curve to mesh if necessary.