importing textures with vrml

(godofredoiii) #1

Hi I’m having some problems importing an .vrml 1.0 file. First it opens the file very far from the center so I have to zoom out a lot in order to see the object. Second, it opens it with no textures.
The object is a scanned face and I would also need to separate faces and vertices with their textures. Any help?

(godofredoiii) #2

Well I’ve tried to open it as dxf,and stl and there is no way. Anyone can help please?

(Fligh) #3

None of those formats carry texture information in Blender. If you convert it to an .obj file and UVMap it you could get the texture in.

%<

(godofredoiii) #4

well, thanks a lot and please forgive my lack of knowledge as I’m almost new in blender. I’ll read more!!

(Fligh) #5

The object is a scanned face

Do you mean the face on the front of a head (an image) or a face made with 4 verts connected by edges (a model)?

%<

(godofredoiii) #6

Sorry for the delay in my reply but I haven’t come to the university since 13th. The face I meant is a human face scanned and saved as a vrml 2.0 file. I’ve downloaded the publisher release so I can open the 2.0 files. I’ve also read there’s a python script to import them. I’ll try to find it.

I’m reading about your recomendation about the .obj and the UV mapping. I’ll see what I can get.

Another question is that when I open the .vrml it creates a single object. As far as I’ve read (not much as you can presume) Blender always does this when opening a file. The object of my project is to obtain an animated face which can do things like gesticulating when pressing a key. If I have to separate triangle by triangle of the object It’ll be a non-end job. Is there any way to import it with separated faces?

Thanks a lot.

(Fligh) #7

At this stage Blender is probably not what you’re looking for. Something like Microsoft Gif Animator will do what you want:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/13212

You just put all the scans together in sequence and it plays them like a movie and your face smiles, although this is only in 2D

Blender can do the same in 3d, but it’s a little more complicated (and VRML won’t help you at all). You will need to build a face (or download a free model, or get someone to build you one etc…) and then use one scanned image of the face you want it to wear. This should be an image format (.jpg .png .tga) that can be UVMapped to the model as a texture. Then the model is ANIMATED to make it smile, sneer, pout talk etc…

http://mambo.ucsc.edu/psl/sig97/siggraph97-panel.html

%<

(godofredoiii) #8

Yes, that is what I’ve made after you told me about the UV mapping. It looks quite good, but it’s a shame that blender doesn’t import the textures directly as I fell I’m doing the same work that the scanner does.(We have a 3D scanner)

I’m now trying to separate the faces in order to animate different parts. As far as I’m concerned there’s no way to import the different triangles as different objects (if I’m wrong please tell).

Other point is that the triangles I have in the model don’t fit with the points I would like to move so I’m considering re-drawing them. But it would mean a lot of work.

And finally a question, after all that work the goal is to make a stand alone program. Would it be possible? I mean, if the rendering is going to take months as lots of scenes should be made.

Thanks for everything.

(Fligh) #9

OK, now things are much clearer. Check this thread for a link to Crossroads:

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49345&highlight=crossroads

It can import VRML from your scanner and convert it to .obj (wavefronts object format) which is reduced to triangles and keeps the UV information. Blender should be able then to import the .obj file.

The standalone question depends on that standalones capability to import from Blender (no problem if you use Crossroads as the standalone).

%<

(godofredoiii) #10

Well, I tried to reply yesterday but there was a problem with the server.

Ok I downloaded the crossroads as you told me but when I try to open my vrml files it gives me an error in one line (I think it is where the vrml defines the file that contains the texture data) so I can’t open them.

Then I downloaded one called Deep Exploration which opens vrml 2.0 and lets me save it as .obj. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong because the result when I open it with Blender is the same as when I try with the vrml 1.0. So no textures are imported. Any ideas?

Thanks.

(Fligh) #11

Sorry I can’t help any further.

%<

(blazer003) #12

Ok, I’m jumping in a little late, but I’ll do my best.

When you import a .obj file, it doesn’t import the textures directly. It imports the UV map (assuming that it has one) or basically, the coordinates that tell your image where to be placed on your model. You then have to go to the material buttons and make a new material. You then go to the texture buttons, click image in texture type and import the texture iamge in whatever file type, assuming it is compatable with Blender. You then set the map type to UV in the materials button under the tab that says cordinate input. It should now be mapped correctly on the head. I’m not really clear on why you want each face (polygon face, not human face) to be a seperate object. You can animate the face using Relative Vertex Keys in the Blender 2.37 version, or Shape Keys in the new version when it is released (or you could go to Blender.org and download the 2.4 alpha, but it isn’t quite stable yet) which is basically animating certain areas of the face to certain possitions and then setting how much influence they have. Hopefully this makes some sense. Good luck.

(godofredoiii) #13

Ok, thanks everyone for your help. I finally made it. I opened my .vrml 2.0 file with blender publisher and saved it as a .blend file. Then reopened it with Blender 2.37a and there were the textures.

The next step I’m trying to do is to make my head talk (or something like that I’m now only trying to find the best way to do it). I’ve read a bit about parenting, making bones and relative vertex keys. I’m also trying to use the game engine to make it move with the keyboard. Well, I found some problems that maybe I’ll fix with some more reading but any help will be usefull.

1.-Is there any way to make some group of vertices child of more than a bone? I’ve been trying a bit but I didn’t find the way.Maybe it’s not possible?

2.-If I use relative vertex keys to make the move how can I associate the move to the press of a key on the keyboard? I tried to associate a RVK slider but the only way I found was associating the key press with part of the scene (ej. play from 1 to 40).

Sorry again for the length of the post and thanks.