In Mixer - How would you add directional dirt and soot marks around panels?

I’ve added a picture to better describe what I’m trying to say, cos I don’t think I’m using the right terminology (which would explain why I’ve been unable to find any other examples or tutorials on this!)

If you look at the vert front of the nose, you can see there’s a few streaks of black ‘soot’ or something behind it, in streaks. And a lot of the panels on this have a (very faint) grey streaking effect too, from abrasion or from dust or whatever. And most ships / cars / etc would have this kind of thing, especially around exhausts.

My plan, so far, is to just add this on as a final layer using a graphics tablet and a brush. Cos it seemed like the easiest and most accurate way to do it. (And this is just an example, I pretty much mean this is my plan for any fine detailing like that, that isn’t a whole-face kind of texture).

However before I invest in a decent tablet and this kind of workflow, I thought I should ask if there’s actually a better / faster / easier workflow to do these kind of fading-out directional streak/leak effect. Using Mixer, ideally, as this is what I’m likely to be using going forward (along with blender of course, so blender options that are compatible are also fine).

41YKRd9j3hL.AC

With a combination of curvature maps and brushes you can get pretty close.
This is a quick test I did with a crappy model to check the technique (the ugliest space ship ever, lol)

Obviously, I overdone it and it doesn’t look pretty, but you get the idea.
In Mixer you also find the brushes (I queried Streak in the search field).

That actually doesn’t look too bad (obviously with tweaks etc as you say).

But… how would YOU do it, given the choice? If mixer has actual brushes for it, then would (in your opinion) using the brush and a stylus give you a better end result? Or would it be a lot slower for little gain?

Just basically trying to make sure I can ‘justify’ getting a tablet haha. I don’t want to get it with the goal of improving my workflow (and my results obviously) if it doesn’t actually help much!

I appreciate your response though, it certainly seems like mixer will be a good fit for me, one way or another :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, if all you have to paint is some worn-out textures a tablet is not going to make a big difference.

That said, I couldn’t work without a tablet anymore. Once you get used to it there’s no going back. But then again, it can be subjective. I guess it all depends on your general workflow. I’ve also started using Krita where the tablet is a must and in PS I couldn’t work without it.
It can take some time to get used to it but then it’s really handy.

I would personally invest in a good tablet. Also, you don’t know what you may need to paint in your next projects where, perhaps, you might actually need more control and the tablet can be really useful in that case.

Just my 2 c.