In need of a good blueprint setup tutorial.

I have seen this one: http://www.blenderman.org/index.php?filename=articles/modeling/Blueprint_Setup.html
it was not helpfull.
I need some one to explain me how do I achieve the same scaling.
For example, I downloaded a blueprint from www.suurland.com
and it comes in ONE jpg file wich I have to saparate using gimp
to left, front and top views. But they are not the same scaling!!!
It is impossible to model that way :frowning:

http://membres.lycos.fr/bobois/index_anglais.html

Look for “Projection Box”

%<

Great tutorial :slight_smile: Thanks
But unfortunatly it does not deal with the scaling issue :frowning:

Well, since it’s UV mapped there’s no longer any need to split the image. However, in your paint prog, you could add ruler markings (or a faint grid) which would make it possible to map it correctly to the box, especially if you subdivided the box and used the internal faces to correspond to the ruler.

%<

Ok, another great idea :slight_smile:
But how do I make a grid in Gimp?
I found it in the “Image” menu, but it does not do anything :frowning:
And how would I be able to make the grid correspond to the subdevided box?
And why do I longer have no need to split the image?!?!?!?!
And by the way, I was always curios, what does “UV” stands for?

UV doesn’t mean anything really. Texture coordinates are called UV (or UVW for texture 3D coordinates) to differenciate them from XYZ space coordinates.

Martin

But how do I make a grid in Gimp?
I found it in the “Image” menu, but it does not do anything :frowning:

Maybe just save a screenshot with the grid rather than save the pic.

And how would I be able to make the grid correspond to the subdevided box?

In the edit buttons in Blender turn on “All Edges” and take and save a screenshot of your box. Open it in Gimp (or copy and paste just the box as a selection) and add it as a layer and you’ll be able to resize it to fit and lighten or fade it. I don’t use gimp so don’t ask me how.

And why do I longer have no need to split the image?!?!?!?!

In the UV editor you select one facet (side) of the box and map your UV’s (the grid of mesh edges and verts) only to that part of the image that you need. It will only map to faces that are selected in the 3D window in Face Mode. So when you select the second facet you can map those off the same image. Kinda like when you UVmap the paintjob to the car, select the 3D faces of the wheels… map them to the UV’s of the wheels, select the 3D faces of the hood… map them to the UV’s of the hood, all from the same pic of the car. Here you’re just taking the side view and mapping it to one face, front to another, plan to the floor, all from the same image.

%<