In this situation....

Okay.
Your in a mine that has collapsed in a small surviving room with another person.
There’s a phone… it rings. You answer… It’s the people from above. They say it will take an hour for them to get to you but you only have enough oxygen for an hour for one person… You have a gun with one bullet…
What do you do…?

note: you must understand that this is black and white. i.e. if you say “I’ll wait it out and hope that the people are wrong” you “WILL” both die.

Let us know how it all works out. Sorry I can’t help.

How much more time do you have?

As a Christian (whom is firm in my faith that a belief in Jesus Christ and His work on the Cross is sufficient to enter into Heaven), I would easily turn the gun on myself to allow the other person opportunity to find the same faith as I have.

Knock him out so that he’s unconscious, then smash your head against a wall until you’re also unconscious, then both should have enough oxygen to stay alive but will wake up with a very bad headache.

Knock him out so that he’s unconscious, then smash your head against a wall until you’re also unconscious, then both should have enough oxygen to stay alive but will wake up with a very bad headache.

What? How would you have enough oxygen?

Well, isn’t the oxygen consumption supposed to decrease when people sleep? Anyway firing the gun is likely to consume much of the oxygen left.

the gunpowder actually has an oxidizer in it so it wouldn’t use any oxygen(except for the oxidizer)

I would call the people back and ask them who the wise-ass was that put the gun into the emergency oxygen supply box.

Honestly? I’d rather die than take a life, but i’d never kill myself. I’d give the gun to the other guy and tell him the circumstances.

And then I’d inform him of the affair his wife was having with his brother.

Actually, if you are Catholic, suicide is damnable, but murder can be forgiven. So, if you’re a true Christian, you would give him a quick and merciful ending to this sordid existence, and pray for redemption before you enter the pearly gates.

Hmm. I thought in Christianity sacrificing your own life was a one way ticket to heaven.

I’d probably faint and die from the prospect of such a hard choice. It’s that simple.

Hmm,
I wouldn’t take either of our lives, I’d let him make that choice.

Negative

If you use a gun near an oxygen tank you both shall surely die anyhow.
Seriously.
Try smoking a cigarette near one.

hm… what would macgyver do?

1. shoot the bullet through the rubble for an air hole
  2. rig an improvised explosive using the oxygen tank and blast his way out
  3. using the electrical system of the telephone wire, the gun powder from the bullet, and a stick of gum to release the oxidizing agent from the bullet and ensure that both people have enough air.
  4. using scrap metal and a water bottle, connect the phone’s electrical system to the metal for a hydrolysis reaction, splitting the water into hydrogen and oxygen.

Perhaps it would be nice to ask the opinion of the other guy first before doing anything drastic?

Of course one option is to play russian roulette but that’s kind of nasty…

I’ll ask him for his final words.

Hang on… Who said there’s an oxygen tank???

I’d shoot the guy. If he had a gun he would shoot me. Then again, after I shoot him, the phone will ring and they would say; “Don’t worry, we’ll make it in half a hour.”

Awesome, I would probably tell the guy to give me a blow job…

Akward silence