Inconsistand color when baking 2K vs 4K roughness

I am attempting to bake the materials in my latest project to files for use outside of Blender. They look great (IMO) within Blender, but I run into a few problems when baking. I have come to terms with the fact that I am just going to lose detail if I bake a 2K texture from a material that is using 4K maps for parts of it. Please let me know if that is not the case and I am just missing something. My big problem is this: When I bake roughness to a 2K (2048x2048) I get the roughness I expect. Except for 100% glass regions that turn out almost completely inverted. When I bake a 4K variant of the same thing however, The resulting output is too light, resulting in a surface that is too rough! I’m sure I must be doing something wrong here.

The original renders straight from Blender.

The same object rendered with materials baked to 2K output files.

And the 4K output files…

The bake setup for the roughness map.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Creating output files is probably the most frustrating thing I have ever encountered in Blender. I’m open to plug-ins that may solve the problem if this is just a case of Blender not doing something well on it’s own.

Thanks!

Roughness, or normals? Your bake screenshot is showing normals.

I guess Blender has roughness output now, but have you considered running your roughness values into emission and baking that instead? I don’t see why your glass would be getting inverted, and maybe checking our your nodes to reroute roughness to emission would give you a handle on why that’s happening. If not, it would at least get your a roughness map without that problem…

As for the 2k vs 4k thing, I would suspect that you probably set one to sRGB and the other to non-color. Blender uses your settings on the image texture node to figure out color management for bakes.

1 Like

Thanks for the pointers. Unfortunately, None of this actually got the result I wanted. I have actually found an add-on that I have only played with a little bit so far, but has some promising results.