Incorrect Automatic Weight Armature When Applied

Hello and nice day to you guys.

I been using Blender for several years but one of the things that has been confusing me has been the incorrect deformation of a rigged model.

So this basically happens at random times when im rigging a new character and its always a bit hard to figure out the issue and i would like to know why this happens and how to fix it please.

So basically:

When you rig a character by Automatic Weights and the character is rigged completely, i would subdivide the geometry of the characters body parts and when i apply it it creates incorrect deforms and bending.

So instead of a " V " like bend i get a " C " like bend on a Arm which looks really bad.

How can i fix this? Thanks

Is it bending OK before SubSerf is applied?

Yes, i test the bending of the Arms and Fingers etc… before applying it but when i apply it it completely falls apart when i bend them again

What is the order of the Armature and Sub-surf mods, this can effect things… Also do you have any unapplied rotations and scales on the mesh or armature?

Please post some images or a blend file for us to look at, that way we don’t have to keep guessing.

Cheers, Clock.

The order of the modifiers is:

1.Armature
2.Subdivision

The model has the Rotation and Scale applied correctly and here is some sniped images showing the image with Subdivision applied and without it applied but is set in place.

With Subdivision unapplied but with correct deforming and bending.

With Subdivision Applied causing incorrect deformation:
ex_2

Instead of applying the subdivision modifier to the mesh, create a duplicate of that mesh and apply the subdivision to the second mesh. Then you can transfer weights from the lower poly mesh to the higher poly mesh with the weight transfer tools. Use nearest face interpolated or nearest edge interpolated for best results.

That is the process I use when I need higher poly mesh. Some cleanup will be needed (usually), but the weights should transfer well.

Good luck!

Your on to something this has done wonders to my characters bending and deformations not bad of a solution sure some things do need some clean up but nothing i cant deal with.

Thank you sir this did the trick.