Indie movie in Blender.

Hello there. Some friends and I are raising funds to make a movie using only blender and opensource software here http://igg.me/p/959921/x/4470146 . You can read a bit more about the story and help spread the idea if you want.

I think you’re going to have trouble getting people to donate unless you can point them to some other animated short films that you have made. At the very least, have some storyboards or test renders that you can show.

Steve S

I agree.

Open source has already been used for the BF movies, so the point you are trying to prove is really not up for debate anymore. They’ve already done this a few times, proving that OSS is adequate for pro-quality results.

You really need to show your past work / portfolio / demo reel to convince anyone.

Right now all I know is you can’t even make a good pitch video. You have one still image and an unprofessional voice recording, that’s it??

You need to realize that crowdfunding a movie is VERY HARD. It’s extremely competitive. You are not showing us that you are taking it very seriously, nor are you showing us what’s good about your project.

I don’t want to discourage you from your goal. If you want to make a movie, you should do it. If that is your passion, I encourage you to find a way to make it happen.

I do want to discourage you from thinking you will raise $60, let alone $60,000, without putting in a great deal of effort into your marketing materials and overall pitch. I have done a successful kickstarter campaign before, and I can tell you that better pitches than this fail every day. The crowdfunding phase should be treated like a full-time job including months of preparation. You need to make a solid case as to why you deserve the money. You have showed us nothing - not even a test animation or illustration.

You have left a large number of questions un-answered. Who is working with you? Who is doing voice acting? Sounds? Music? Animation? Lighting? Rigging? Modeling? Are you doing it all yourself? Can you prove that you’re competent in all of those areas?

Also, please look into securities law in your area. In the US it is probably illegal for you to offer a share of the profits without filing the proper paperwork.

thanks for your honest answers really.
Can you post some feedback on how it is right now (http://www.indiegogo.com/project/preview/654e6b33 it’s not launched, just in drafting mode). If anyone have ideas to perks.
Again, thanks your replies, just helped tremendously.

Yeah the formula is fairly simple and it applies to all art forms. Start with things you can finish, beginning to end. It does not even have to be a full story. Better in fact in the beginning. Start with simple tests and work your way up to full working elements.

3D is extremely complex and requires getting a large number of things to work all together. And each one of those individual techniques requires and exactness in technical perfection to work so that the process within a pipeline can work smoothly from start to finish.

It is not sufficient even to try and manage a project and “leave it up to the artists” to work all of that out. Many people fail in the assumption that they don’t have to be technical, and the idea that “well I am a story teller”, is enough.

It is not enough. And I can tell you as a person with a high level of technical knowledge and skill and even working with and managing artists who also have a high level of artistic ability and skill, that it is still a very complex and difficult process to manage. In fact if I did not know more than them technically it would be virtually impossible.

So I suggest, starting simple, make a several year plan to arrive at a place where you can even do a simple short film. With lots of testing and/or smaller simple works in-between.

And best of luck!

Get some of your actual art up on there - show the quality of the work you can do. Steampunk has an ornate and baroque visual style so you need to put something in your pitch which proves you can achieve that look at a high standard. Your best work only. Set it to suitable music - music cuts straight through to the emotions.

You’ve got a story synopsis in your pitch - maybe include some illustrations or storyboards of individual shots that could work for that scene, even if you revise them later. Fire up the imagination of your backers with interesting images. Give them as big a glimpse of your intentions as you can.

Your pitch right now is very abstract. You need to show the project as concretely as you can, otherwise people will find it more difficult to believe that you can do it.

Also either replace or get rid of the character sketches. They look really amateurish.

Check out some successful campaigns from Kickstarter, Indiegogo and so on - watch what they do carefully, get an understanding of how they get you to believe in them and their project, learn their psychological tricks and figure out which ones you can use too. It all comes down to salesmanship in the end.

Edit: After reading Richard’s advice, I wonder if you might pick one compelling scene from your movie and make that as an open-ended short film. That would make an even better pitch for the whole thing.