Indigo 3.0 und Indigo RT

Glare Technologies is proud to announce the release of Indigo Renderer version 3.0 and Indigo RT. This update brings many usability refinements and improvements to the rendering engine, and to celebrate its release we’re running a 33% off sale until 11th of July.

Indigo Renderer 3.0 is a generational improvement on all fronts: real-time scene editing, GPU acceleration, render queue support and many other impressive changes lie under the hood!

Indigo RT is a new rendering solution which delivers unmatched value in the high end rendering market: it is the first robust, truly unbiased and full-featured rendering system available at under €100 (for the duration of the sale; normal price is €145).

For more information about Indigo Renderer, Indigo RT and the difference between Indigo RT and Indigo Renderer 3.0, please go here: http://www.indigorenderer.com/node/1387.

Indigo is developed by Glare Technologies Ltd., a company specializing in high-end 3D visualisation software. Using unbiased, physically-based rendering techniques, Indigo generates images of unparalleled realism and accuracy. Well-known for being both user friendly and extremely powerful, Indigo has become the tool of choice for professionals demanding the highest quality visualisations possible, without having to deal with complicated renderer settings.

Is Indigo RT using multi-gpus? and do you have a blender exporter for this program?

Old news :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m really digging the new features and improvements, the RT renderer looks ace as well.

Will the 3.0 and RT releases both have exporters for Blender 2.5x?

Both versions have a great exporter available, developed by Doug Hammond. Very seamless and easy to use. Materials and scene settings are quick to set up. A couple kinks here and there, but I’ve been using it for serious work already :slight_smile:

o.O
The 2.5 exporter is not working for recent versions.
The 2.49 exporter isn’t working too great for me, couldn’t find indigo.exe, however it saved the scene file.

The saved scene file was stored automatically in appdata which is hidden and although i have them set to visible, indigo can’t browse there.
After copying the scene to a better place, indigo just crashes when I try to open it.
And it seems there’s no way that indigo can open .obj or something like that?

While it is a great offer, the initial 30 minutes of testing didn’t satisfy me, as I couldn’t get anything out of it. And be assured I am no noob to external render engines.
I’d really like to see something though, so I’ll look further into it and not give up right here.

Thanks arexma, back to cycles hehehe.

Meh. You’re trading a full fledged mature raytracer for a motley crew of functions there.

However it works, and the B2.57b+ exporter is under development.

Here we go:

The exporter at the homepage ain’t working, you got to dig in the forum:
http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10859

This: http://www.indigorenderer.com/dist/exporters/blendigo/blendigo-2.5-3.0.10.zip

Unzip the archive. Move the indigo folder from blendigo-2.5-3.0.10/sources into your Blender addons folder.
You should end up with <blender scripts>/addons/indigo/

Run Blender 2.5, go into User Preferences/Addons, and find the Render section. Locate the Blendigo entry
and enable the addon by clicking the little checkbox on the right.

Then it works. For some reason though it Indigo RT refuses to use GPU acceleration and I haven’t found out yet how to use the grand interactive camera. Any help or is it Indigo non RT only?

Ah, didn’t realize the exporter on the front page was borked… I’ve been getting the one from the thread :stuck_out_tongue:

As far as the Indigo path issue is concerned, it has to be set to absolute path, not relative, for some reason.

Also, all objects must have a material assigned, or else it will crash on export. Curve objects currently aren’t exported, that functionality still has to come back.

arexma: I haven’t tried the RT version, but I’m pretty sure it supports GPU… Did you check if the box is ticked in the Indigo GUI?

Also, Indigo isn’t a full ‘studio’ kind of program, unlike Octane or Maxwell. It just loads IGS files and renders them, so scene setup must be done in your host program. As the Blender API develops with Cycles, Indigo will most likely be available directly within Blender (a la Lux with Telnet connection) so that when you move objects, change materials, etc. it will update in real-time. Exciting times ahead!

I have it ticked yes, but I got a DirectX app running in the background I currently can’t close, maybe it prevents the initialization of CUDA, which shouldn’t be though. Will test it another day.

That’s actually a huge showstopper for me. There’s always the chance I got an unsopported tool, or there is a lack of a exporter, or no one mainains the Blender exporter anymore. With .obj or .3ds you can always work with it, independently of your tool.
To be blunt, I don’t see any reason why Indigo RT is so awesome yet. Octane beats it (anxious for the next beta release which should be out soon) speedwise, collaborative wise and I am curious about their new kernel replacing MLT.
And you always have Luxray.
Still, what I miss is a GPGPU accelerated biased raytracer for Animations, however, Octane forum has hinted that there is the possibility for such a kernel as well. And if there’s no Blender exporter anymore at one time I can use it with .OBJ.

The only argument I see for Indigo (also over Octane), which is a huge one though, is the OpenCL support.

Update:

It seems that Indigo is ignoring the [x]enable GPU flag in the exporter, you got to enable it manually in Indigo RT.
I also found the “interactive” viewport. You got to use the 3 puny icons above the OpenGL view to rotate, scale and pan. The same icons are also on top of the renderviewport.
Alternatively you can use the mouse in the viewports and hold ALT pressed.
Unfortunately it raytraces so slow there’s no interactive for me.

Also the funky video on the homepage shows ~2+ Megasamples/s, and no where is told with what rig.
I got an Intel [email protected] and a [email protected] and it runs with about 0.4-0.8 Kilosamples/s with CUDA - comparison, Octane runs with 11.6Megasamples/s on my system.

Also with CUDA/OpenCL enabled, you only can use the Pathtracing kernel. That means neither Bidirectional, nor MLT, which causes lots of artifacts with complicated lighting setups, also the load of my GPU ([email protected]) is around 8-12% during raytracing.

Also tried the non RT version, UI and functionality is the same besides the missing features stated in the version comparison on the homepage

what about multi-gpu?

Does seem to support OpenCL which is a big plus in my book ! May try it out and buy a copy next month

Next Update :slight_smile:

I got multi GPUs in my system, however it only allows to select one of them at a time, either with OpenCL or CUDA. Also, in more “complicated” scenes my GPU never exceeds 20% load. It’s no GPU raytracer, it’s a hybrid, like Luxray, the GPU only supports the CPU as far as I can see.

What I really was missing was some scene to test it out, so I took 10 crap and threw it together to one garbage :slight_smile: The materials and textures should be somewhat named, for the objects I didn’t care :wink:

Here’s what it looks like:
http://i55.tinypic.com/24lj5av.jpg
The sad thing though, this is what it looks like, rendered in exactly that resolution after 17! minutes and 3400 samples per pixel.
And still lots of noise and fireflies.
Then again, everyone can tell you that a closed room with lights and sunlight coming in is a rather extreme lighting situation and it requires some skill with the used raytracer not to produce fireflies.

Here’s the scene to download and play with (textures are packed in the .blend, taken from cgtextures.com (thanks for the great page), normal maps done with xnormal):
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/6994

For some reason I always have to re-enable the blendigo addon when I load the scene, after that and setting the path to executable it should work out of the box. Also be sure to be in object mode, if you’re in edit mode it will not render.

The scene has sunlight + objects emiting light in the room. You can also use an environment map, the light exponents are set so it works, the blender sun will simply be ingonred.
Note that the lamp to the left and the curtain are diffuse objects with transmission properties, so the light can be transported through diffuse materials.
I tried to add windowglass, but it didn’t really work the way I want. I am also having problems with transparent shadows (see the spheres hit by sunlight) might be material settings. I get caustics, but the shadows seem somewhat solid from the objects.
The “bumpmaps” are actually normal maps. It seems to work just fine with normalmaps didn’t test it further, but a raytracer without normal map support stinks anyways. There’s no mentioning of normal maps anywhere though, so it might treat normal maps just as bumpmaps.
Mirror also works fine.

My overall feeling is you get into it very fast and it’s quite nice to use. At some points you don’t understand what the parameters of the materials are supposed to do and at other points it feels you are somewhat limited with the material settings.
Anyhow, above I posted the plugin, download the demo, use the scene, you can play with material settings and object positioning (I am going to try the “infinite mirror”)

Update again :smiley:

And here’s the same thing in Ocane:

http://i52.tinypic.com/1zml5e1.jpg

Same resolution, 3400 smp/px, 5 minutes rendertime. The curtain is not so grand, I haven’t looked into transmissive materials in octane don’t know if it’s even possible yet but I guess so, I mostly do construction plant and industry visualization, no archviz. Due to the low light in the room, and that Octane has NO MLT in the current kernel you get those fireflies. It should not be an indicator for it’s quality, as with the next release of octane we get a PMC kernel, where PMC stands for Population Monte Carlo, which is a Refractive Software brainbrew group algorithm more advanced and faster than MLT. Should be out any week now :slight_smile:
I am also no master of the emmision objects in octane, again, don’t need it for my job, got to look into it though.

The glassspheres are also not so fabolous, just snatched a premade glass material from the repository and turned down opacity a bit.

Maybe someone cares to redo the scene also in Luxray with 3400 smp/px and some brave sould might even dare to use cycles :wink:

All in all I think both Octane and Indigo RT have their pros and cons and depending on what you do and what hardware you got, both are a good choise.

Personally I’ll grab a RT license while it’s hot, you never know when it comes in handy or you need a feature raytracer X has and Y does not have.

I really like the direct lighting kernel in octane, it’s so fast, but light quality obviously suffers, there’s no indirect light and there’s a problem with the alpha of the curtain, as the whole plane casts a shadow… it’S known though and I know how to work around it, was just too lazy:
http://i56.tinypic.com/cqbd1.png
That’s after 6 seconds rendertime :wink:

Wow Arexma, thank you so much for the comparisons and tests (and of course for the test scene ;))

It was kind of a shock to find out that Indigo was so slow, I had always imagined it as a really fast renderer, the lighting in Indigo looks much better than in Octane though, especially the translucency impressed me :slight_smile:

It would be nice to see a comparison to Cycles as well wink wink ;D

I messed up the testscene, the normal maps went missing, so blendigo gives an error.
If you run into it, redownload it, I fixed the link in the original post, here’s the new one as well:
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/6994

I wonder if there’ll be the option to upgrade from RT to full at one point. Who knows, one day I might need SSS, Iges and Lightlayers and want to upgrade rather than buy additionally.

Upgrading is possible for the difference in price, I believe! It’s somewhere on their site…

For the Indigo test, did you use Pathtracing? It would be interesting to try that scene with MLT + Bidir, it will handle caustics much better.

With GPU acceleration you can only use Pathtracing… but the .blend is ready to use in Indigo (RT) you can always try. Currently I am rendering the whole thing in Luxray.8…
BBIAB :wink:

And then I’ve got to check octane again, it has a transmissive channel for what I read. Got to see if the curtain and lamp can’t be forced to act the way I want ^^

Next update:

Here we got Luxray with OpenCL acceleration, 1600spx, 40 minutes - not so grand:
http://i55.tinypic.com/112h3k3.jpg

So next, Luxray again, this time without OpenCL and MLT Pathtracing (see caustics), 440 spx, 20 minutes:
http://i55.tinypic.com/24cup1w.jpg

As requested: Indigo RT, without CUDA/OpenCL and with Bidirectional MLT, 1300spx, 17 minutes:
http://i56.tinypic.com/103fzaf.png

And last but not least, Octane again, tweaked still no MLT, 1300spx, 2 minutes
http://i55.tinypic.com/2iqmx6r.png

I used Octane 2.46b, Luxray 0.8 and Indigo 3 RT.

It’s no exact science here, it depends a lot on light and material settings and I really got other things to do as well than tweaking the scenes to perfection, however I think it’s clear to see that in terms of GPGPU acceleration Octane is far superior. It is lightning fast, delivers a good quality and doesn’t even have MLT like algorithms yet.
In terms of physical realism you achieve very good results with Luxray in an average time and I am sure you can get more out of it.
And for Indigo, I like it, it’s quite fast and delivers nice and clean results, it’s easy to handle too.

So you got octane is very fast but still lacks features, the material nodes are grand and the realtime viewport is great and its a pure GPU renderer.
Luxray at times is very slow and has it’s distinctive style everyone can spot but has a very, very good blender integration and delivers nice phyiscally correct results but Hybrid rendering is not so good.
And Indigo is very easy to us as well, has a good Blender integration, is quite fast and renders very clean but also here hybrid rendering is not too grand either.

Indigo RT for me is in between Octane and Luxray and surely worth the 99 Euro. C’mon many of you spend more already to have one good night out and all they had was a bad hangover the next day.
I bought it, I like it. Very good addition and makes up for me being sad I missed Thea Studio when it still was cheap :slight_smile:

Joining in the fun here, I don’t have Indigo RT yet, but am certainly considering it!
Did a couple of 10 minute renders of your scene, hope you don’t mind.

SLG 2.0
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=13723

Cycles! wooo
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=13724

There’s pretty much no caustics in either, which was a little unexpected for SLG 2.0, as it is using MLT as far as I know. Perhaps I need to play with the settings a bit more. I’m doing another cycles render atm with exaggerated caustics, but at the current rate I think it’s going to take all night! Seems like for situations like this, a smarter algorithm can make a huge difference over brute force of the gpu!