Indigo Knife

Modeled in Blender and rendered in Indigo - the usual work flow. No post-processing on this image at all.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/media/folder_154/file_1533403.jpg

wow, great!

-AntonG

I like the surface texture in this version much better than the WIP one :slight_smile:

Great job.

Hot. Damn. Indigo’s good.

5 stars.

Can’t say that doesn’t look awesome… 5*.

nice model, nice render
but it lacks some scene or at least a better shot, as just the knife doesnt make a really interesting piece…
i’d say 4 stars

• Kroni

Thanks all for your kind comments.

nice model, nice render
but it lacks some scene or at least a better shot, as just the knife doesnt make a really interesting piece…
i’d say 4 stars

This is not meant to be a complete “scene” - just a render to show the finished model.

Yup, i’m aware of that :wink: but it still could be done more interesting with a different shot, maybe some close-ups
As a reference of what im thinking about: here are some nice studio shots. also this looks nice.
hope that helps, for future maybe :wink:

• Kroni

i have a pocket knife exactally like that! except mine is dull…heh
5 starts

I love the surface, feels so sleek.
Although, I’m curious about the scratches on the red part: is it fibre-glass or just wear-and-tear?

awsome stuff. you get five from me.

Thats sweet man Love the textures and lighting. Really give it a airy feeling. Five stars from me too.

Beautiful render, excellent modeling! The one thing I’m not too keen on is the reflections on the blades. Perhaps you should use an EXR environment for lighting so it has more to reflect than a clear blue sky.

[Edit] There also seems to be some sort of normal artifact here:

Attachments

Another example of Indigo making pretty much anything look good.

Looks good, but only because of Indigo.

First off, thank you all for your comments!

Cardinal4:

I love the surface, feels so sleek.
Although, I’m curious about the scratches on the red part: is it fibre-glass or just wear-and-tear?
Not fiberglass - just my attempt at wear.

Lord of the Rings Junkie:

Beautiful render, excellent modeling! The one thing I’m not too keen on is the reflections on the blades. Perhaps you should use an EXR environment for lighting so it has more to reflect than a clear blue sky.

[Edit] There also seems to be some sort of normal artifact here:
It IS EXR environment lighting. Also, it is not a normal problem on that on blade, just a poor modeling attempt of a very odd shape :wink:

Cyborg Dragon:

Another example of Indigo making pretty much anything look good.
Looks good, but only because of Indigo.
Gee, thanks for nothing! How does the saying go - “Better to remain silent…”? It would look just as good in any other raytrace and/or unbiased render engine out there. I just don’t use Blenders built in renderer, because it is a scanline renderer and nearly impossible to get photo-realistic result - which I strive for. Before Indigo, I used Yafray.
Not sure that I understand the brush-off / stand-offish attitude that many have towards Indigo… Why? Because the results are so good? Believe me - the better the render, the more any imperfection in modeling or texturing will stand out. Used to see this same attitude towards Yafray before indigo became “The Target”.

To re-iterate: Blender’s built in renderer is good for exactly what it is made and intended for - a quality, animation-friendly rendere that is built for speed. If Blender coders wanted to to build a render engine similar to Maxwell, Fryrender, or Indigo, the talent is there - it is just not the direction that Blender development is taking, or for that matter ever will. Therefore, every artist should choose the tools best suited to what they are trying to achieve. Even though I do not use Blender’s render engine except for test renders, I take great comfort in knowing it is there in case I want/choose to use it.

imho it’s excellent -all the work-

I am realizing with this 3d package (blender) is better to animate with blender internal. Indigo’s render times seems way long, like with all these renderers. As you say, is simply another ball game. If I were to make uber realistic renders for press ads, or architecture eye catching GI renders, seems is a great option. Seems it depends on if you render “static” or animated…

I am a character animator (experienced in 3ds Max) , so I guess couldn’t be my choice, but I admire these static renders.

Looks realy rather beautyfull… needs somthing… looks slightly washed out…

still the detail on the blades is realy quite somthing…

4.5* rounded up

Joe