Indoor Indigo

Hi, my first render with Indigo, shame I didn´t knew some things I know now, but rendertimes were too high for re-rendering, next time will be :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.zanqdo.com/tmp/Interior01.jpg

“shame I didn´t knew some things I know now”

like what? always good to know stuff to avoid…

reinhard tonemapping gave me a pain in the arse, will use linear next time

Hey that looks great!

Even the way the light interacts with the floor texture. Looks very real.

the only thing this lacks is furniture.

nice i like the lighting on it.

Fantastic! I’ll show this to my boss. “See, we can do this for visualizations.” Looks a tad too yellow for my taste, but that’s less a crit than a subjective opinion. The lighting scheme and the interior itself is great, and it really conveys the scale and feel of the space. Nice work.

ive been seeing alot of nice renders from idego this engine has a load of potetial o and very nice render

Nice render.

Have you used a sun lamp along with some area emitters? I thought that there was some issues when combining those?

BgDM

hi, thx for the comments

BGDM yes theres a sun light, and you can avoid isues by turning off reinhard tonemapping and using linear, so the engine dosn´t try to automatically balance lighting (lowering power of the weekest light source) I didnt knew it by the time I hit render this time, but next tiome will be :slight_smile: Other than that no problems

But, its just that: balancing the light. It can sometimes take a lot of tinkering, but just tweaking the gain values of the various lightsources can get things balanced. I did a test render of radiance’s “IT Dept” scene with some different models placed in it. I wanted to turn on some of the lights, and began experiencing oddly dark renders when I did so. Messing with the values of the skylight element and the various emiting materials helped me to achieve a pretty good balance (much like you have here…).

I think it will be a much more difficult challenge using linear tonemapping for an interior scene that includes an exterior lighting (sun) source. I’m interested to hear the results if you end up testing this out.

ZanQdo, which version of Indigo did you use to render it?
Which values did you use to get sun light + mesh emitters to work together?

sweet image! :smiley:

Is there a way to increase maximun energy in the scene? so that things are a bit more lighted? I just wanted sun light to be more powerfull without lowering indoor lighting

@afecelis - hi, I´m using version 0.5 but next time I´ll try 0.6 beta, they say it´s faster :eek:

>afecelis - hi, I´m using version 0.5 but next time I´ll try 0.6 beta

It is faster. I was surprised when I tried it. I also remember perusing the indigo forums and someone had written a threaded program for indigo which was supposed to take chunks out of the render times. Indigo is one sweet raytracer.

http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/7972/im11586907748jy2.th.png

0.6x is multithreaded: use the -t option at the command. Nick is supposedly refining the core code for further speed improvements for test release 3 of 0.6 (he’s just on vacation in Europe about now… getting a deserved break, I hope!). Likewise, if you have mulitple cores available, they could be leveraged even in 0.5 using the network rendering setup via mulitple client sessions on one machine.

The reinhard tonemapping takes the “brightest” point and sets it to white (RGB 1,1,1) and works from there, with LDR formats. However, the lighting of the scene should be influenced by bumping the gain settings in the XML for whichever source you want brighter. Its like how the white balance works on a camcorder or digicam. When you’re indoors, things look okay, then you step outside into the bright sunshine, it takes a second for the display to “balance” the light it’s receiving - it kinda “flares” white for a second, then tones down to normal-looking.

…doesn’t really answer your questions, I know… you just have to tinker with things. Fortunately, you can often tell early on what effect your changes have caused.

ahh that helps, thak you :), what if I want to have white areas? reinhard tonemapping won´t let me right?

@ZanQdo: any chance of sharing your file (xml or blend) and settings? :wink:
I’m trying so hard to get that interior-exterior lighting without much success.

The key to understanding this [and I don’t yet… why am I trying to explain it, then?..:rolleyes: ] is that you’re going from high-dynamic range (HDR) internally to low-dynamic range (LDR) output images. Somehow the reinhart is “truncating” all the light ranges above what LDR interperates as white (RGB 255,255,255) and makes them white. Thus, you should get “white” areas in those places where the range goes above what RGB can handle. Alternately, I believe that Indigo can output EXR format, which you can then tweak yourself in postpro to get the results you want. (Not sure 'bout this… it’d be something to ask on their forums where someone who knows what they’re talking about could answer intelligently…:o )

I know, but I want white areas, next time I will turn off the tonemaping, it´s not natural for the render to be clamped just from 0 to 255 values, powerfull light sources got to be stronger.

BTW I tried untonnemaped EXR this time, hoping to twek things later but no… I could get anything from it, just black image, I tried exploring it with the curves in blender´s image viewer but nothing

I guess you mean linear tonemapped? Yeah, black images was all I came out with, too. I tried cranking the <scale> value with little success…

…oh, just noticed the <save_untonemapped_exr> option in the settings header. Is this what you were talking about?