INFINITY TEXTURES

(Torque) #1

Hi,
Anyone ever seen this great texture program before ?

http://www.i-tex.de/

The textures look cool in the Game Engine, especially the animated
ones, and the Particle system is cool too. Tripped Out !!!

Check it out !!!

(Eric) #2

Yes, I’ve used this program ever since I first heard of it. It’s very cool.

(Jolly Gnome) #3

Thanks for the link!
What differences are there between the unregistered and registered versions?

(Torque) #4

The Demo only renders up to 256x256 textures which are marked with the word “DEMO”, the Registered version does 4096x4096 textures.

The “First Day” height map renderer does 360 degree Panarama`s
which look really cool mapped around the inside of a sphere in the Realtime Engine. 2048x1024 looks spot on.

I think it`s a really good program, especially for the price of only $69.00,
it takes a little while to suss out though.

The scripting features for the Animated textures and other automated tasks are great.

I registered my copy after about three days of playing around and it gets better the more i get to know it.

(Jolly Gnome) #5

The Demo only renders up to 256x256 textures which are marked with the word “DEMO”, the Registered version does 4096x4096 textures.
[/quote]

Dang… so it’s pretty much of no use without registering :frowning:

The “First Day” height map renderer does 360 degree Panarama`s
which look really cool mapped around the inside of a sphere in the Realtime Engine. 2048x1024 looks spot on.

Is this a part of I-tex, or some other program?

(Torque) #6

The First Day is part of I-Tex, its for testing height maps and mixing
textures onto the generated terrain

>>Dang… so it’s pretty much of no use without registering
Yep, yer pays yer money and yer make yer choice,
it aint that much for something that good.

(xitnalta) #7

I used it once when living and dying with Windows crashes. IIRC it was completely freeware then (but I could be wrong). Anyway, just compare this to http://staticfreesoft.com/ . Look at the prices charged for Windows binaries. I once read an article about the author making quite some money out of it - and it is GNU GPL! So if I would try to get my school’s administration to install Electric, I could easily say them: “the per-seat cost is just 1$!” And it is a really professional package around since (at least) the 1980’s, with customers including Intel and Sun Microsystems.

Prices are just totally different for proprietary and free software. The former does even actually give you less (stability, security, privacy, flexibility, functionality, …, and hacking fun) for a higher price, with a decreasing number of exceptions. I should take this into my signatures… :wink:

cu,
Felix

(Torque) #8

>>I used it once when living and dying with Windows crashes. IIRC it was completely freeware then

Are we on the same wavelength ?

(xitnalta) #9

No, we don’t even have to. I stated my opinion, now you’re free to place your critique on it - that’s how free speech works, after all.