Info on BA spam attacks here

Are posts from new accounts not moderated before they are placed on the forum anymore? Just curious here.

See post #3: Yes, those posts should be moderated.
It’s still unclear how those spambots manage to get past moderation.

Quite sure as suggested that there has to be a loop hole in the messaging system.

For the short term, the answer might be more moderators (particularly those who can be active during the evening hours here in the Central Time Zone because there’s none around usually).

Other solutions might be a way to the software auto-delete posts that contain common hallmarks of spam (such as Asian or otherwise unusual characters in thread titles).

Either way, a solution should be found quickly so we don’t see a reduction in activity due to tired users.

That’s unfair and inaccurate. Your use of hyperbole is tolerated in other parts of the forum. Let’s lay off on it here, please. We’re actively working on narrowing down how the bots are getting through. Unfortunately, our forum is large and there are a lot of moving parts. In an effort to help narrow things down, some convenience features of the forum might be temporarily disabled until we figure it all out.

Just to answer this separately. We have that (it’s 10 posts before you are not auto-moderated), as well as some other spam prevention tools. Those are the controls that the bots are currently circumventing.

Actually I’ve seen this just a couple of months ago on a game related site. It’s obviously a lot harder to deal with than people think. It came on in a wave. And the same kind of MO. A large block of posts on random threads to get the count up, and then it goes nuclear.

After a couple of weeks it was eventually brought under control. But the weasels do still manage to get under the fence occasionally.

They are spamming game engine support forum again.Whoever they are.

Thanks for the heads up… though the Report Post feature is probably more effective. :wink:

I see no such feature.Where is it located?

In the bottom left corner of any post:

Just a little notice on what we’ve done so far. We’ve done some patching to vBulletin, adjusted moderation rules for some of the more targeted forums, and implemented RECAPTCHA for new logins. This seems to have slowed the bots down quite a bit. Downside: they’re no longer just in the General Forums… they’re posting in other sub-forums as well. Thanks, everyone, for continuing to report these spam posts to the moderation team when you see them. It really is a big help.

I’m cautiously optimistic… enough to say that the worst of it might be behind us. Of course, if I were a superstitious man, I’d say that I’ve just jinxed us all. Time will tell. :slight_smile:

I really hope it is fixed.

I reported one.

Tons of 'em today

They’re still getting through, but only one thread was created and the title is in nonsensical English (with the Korean only found inside).

Could it be possible that we are not dealing with bots here, but real people who have made it a career to spam forums?

quite possible. they do it on email and phone more or less. its not a virus or something potentially hazardous to us, is it?

I’m guessing that includes logged out search. Could that feature be returned, sooner? Less one post wonders will result if you’re looking for upshots.

Thanks for the upkeep btw.

I am glad it is finally over.

We still see a few here and there (I think that most of them are accounts that were made during the surge and lying in wait), but it seems to have largely been reduced. It’s nice to be able to breathe again. :slight_smile: