Info on BA spam attacks here

how fix this ? :frowning:

It has gotten worse. It used to be they just dumped a bunch of threads and then leave, but now they are not even stopping (continuously posting until a staff member bans them).

It also looks like they are now coming in during the daylight hours as of the Central Time Zone (they often just came after 9:00 PM here). I also wonder if the issue also has something to do with Wesburke now stepping in with the planned maintenance period?

As for solutions, I wonder if we will need to look at cutting edge ways to deal with the issue such as an AI moderator account (which would basically be on the boards 24/7 and delete the threads and the bots as soon as they start appearing). Essentially it would be an intelligent bot fighting bot.

Thanks for all your efforts, Fweeb. I know itā€™s tough enough keeping the citizens of this forum in check, let alone dealing with an onslaught of invaders. Best of luck in tracking down the offending loophole.

I echo the good luck with solving it issues. Of course, it would help if people stopped viewing them. Zero views and zero replies makes the whole exercise pointless for the spammers.

Except I donā€™t think the people attacking this site with bots even care (or at least I donā€™t recall a forum ever being spam free just because people refused to view their messages and click their links).

I hope this over

Lots more spam in the Finished Projects section, this time they are using more usernames with a lower post count for each.

surely vBulletin are the ones who should be putting the most effort into fixing this?

I just saw 2 spam posts, but before I could flag them, they were deleted, and the user was banned. Crisis averted. I donā€™t know if you just caught that one in real time, or if you have a script to autoban repeat posters. But nice work either way!

well thereā€™s plenty more on the site today to make up for it.

really donā€™t understand the mentality behind this, do they honestly think people are attracted by countless annoying, intrusive, spamming posts?

I think I just happened to be logged in right at the same time as those came through. :slight_smile:

Spam posts are not for people. Theyā€™re a hamfisted, brute force, and moderately effective means of driving up a websiteā€™s search engine rank. If a spammer can get links to their site posted on a high-traffic site with its own high search engine rank, then their siteā€™s rank can bump up. Again, these posts arenā€™t for peopleā€¦ theyā€™re spam robots talking to search engine robots. Ainā€™t the future great?