Info request for virtual exhibition

Hello Blenderartists,

For an historical project I’m researching what will be the possibillities of using the BGE. I’m a 3dsmax user on a daily bases considering my job, but for my own private design projects I use other software like Rhino, zBrush and offcourse Blender which is quiet new for me.
I really start to like Blender more and more and yes, when used to 3dsMax the UI was hard to learn. However I must say that after using it more and more, the UI is just overall better than 3dsMax. Now I decided to find out if Blender can help me achieve a somewhat historical project. I’ve been browsing the internet and reading threads for days and thought it was time to gather some information on this forum, so here goes…

The project:
The reconstruction of a Dutch passenger liner which was built in 1939 and launched in 1946 (delayed because of wwII). The ship sadly sank after a fire on 2 december 1994 when it was under property of an Italien company. Allthough it got in some bad news due to a hijack in 1985, the ship has a rich history for the Dutch community. If you are interested in more about this ship please refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willem_Ruys
I want to reconstruct the ship in it’s original state and make it a virtual exhibition. The plan is to allow people walk on the ship and visit it’s internal structure. Some rooms will have pictures on the wall or maybe there will be a videowall which displayes videos or slideshows.
People could be exploring the almost 200m long vessel and visit different parts (quarters, engine rooms, bridge etc.). It could be simple by using mouse and keyboard and wathing a screen, or through a virtual reality helmet. Aiming for what is the best visual possible offcourse.

The needed info:

• I could use some examples of similar projects (architectural, interactive walkthroughs?)
  • Is the BGE capable of handeling a 200m long and 25m wide virtual modelled vessel with internal structure/rooms?
  • What should be a targeted polycount (I know this depends havy on hardware)?
  • Can I make use of other inputdevices for the walkthrough, like a game controller?
  • Could the use of virtual reality helmet/glasses be an option, with headtracking to “look around”?
  • If virtual reality is not possible, maybe stereo glasses which generate 3D view (without headtracking) can be an option?
  • Can I make the videowall interactive, like pushing a button to make the video start when I’m standing in front of it virtualy?
  • Would it be simple to display other visitors in the virtual enviroment?

- Are there any Dutch Blenderartists interested in teaming up for such a project?

Why use Blender:
Allthough I’m backed-up by a large company at which I work, I want this project to be low in cost. The project will be made available for a museum which is driven by passion and volunteers. I have to establish a budget in time and money and on the other hand I would like to promote Blender. Why promote Blender? Well I think the most of you can answer this question :smiley:

I probably didn’t ask everything I want to know yet, but the main idea should be clear. I hope that by starting this thread I will gain info, insights and maybe some extra ideas to make this a succes.
Allthough I’m just researching the feasibility at this moment, I’m driven to make this project come to life for a personal reason.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

welcome to Blenderartists.
Yes, it is possible to do such a project.

- I could use some examples of similar projects (architectural, interactive walkthroughs?)
I do not have examples, but I know it was done in past. Please have a look at the resource, WIP and finished game forum.

- Is the BGE capable of handeling a 200m long and 25m wide virtual modelled vessel with internal structure/rooms?
The size does not matter. What matters is how many objects/faces will be in front of the camera. You might need some well chosen scene structure and LOD.

- What should be a targeted polycount (I know this depends havy on hardware)?
hard to say

- Can I make use of other inputdevices for the walkthrough, like a game controller?
yes, via joystick support

- Could the use of virtual reality helmet/glasses be an option, with headtracking to “look around”?

again via mouse/joystick support. Alternative input via Python is possible. I know others implemented a glove support via python.

- If virtual reality is not possible, maybe stereo glasses which generate 3D view (without headtracking) can be an option?
Stereo is possible. Have a look for such topics here in the support forum

- Can I make the videowall interactive, like pushing a button to make the video start when I’m standing in front of it virtualy?
A game is usually interactive. So - yes you can
For the video look for VideoTexture

- Would it be simple to display other visitors in the virtual enviroment?
Not really, but possible. The question is if it is worth the effort. Have a look for Multiplayer.

I hope it helps

Thanks Monster and Aryok!

I’m digging deeper into it, following up your tips.
I stumbled across a website about the Occulus Rift http://www.oculusvr.com
Now this would be great.

It starts to look like it’s possible anyway, just have to find out how extensive I’m able to take it considering VR.