[Input] Custom Blender Setup | Silo/Maya- esque

Oh, hells yeah! Thanks man! That is perfect. I’ve been using the tab key pie menu as well, but it is just not as fast… and that is because coming from Modo those number keys there seem to be permanently committed muscle memory. The split second that my brain wants to be in vert component mode, my finger has already hit the 1 key.

So thanks again, 0rAngE.

Installing the latest version now.

Tried using default Blender for a bit (mainly because I had to do a full reinstall and could never be bothered to reinstall the keymap) and I just couldn’t do it, especially as I was learning Modo alongside. Glad that 1,2,3,4 has been implemented as per Adam’s suggestion.

Updated the setup. I’ve cleaned up some clutter in the TABs.

• The Auto Mirror Addon is now under the Addons TAB. It’s still in Wazou’s RMB Pie.
  • The hotkey to my Crease Pie is moved to “ALT + C” (was C)
  • New addon Kjartan’s Scripts is in by default, and the command Cut Tool – mesh.cut_tool is now mapped to “C”
    I’ll add more hotkeys for this addon in the future, and probably create a Pie Menu for it as well.

Download in the first post (updates are only in the 2.76 setup).

Awesome. Thanks!

I’ve been tweaking the animation side of my hotkeys setup. There’s been some changes in the Timeline, Dope Sheet and the Graph Editor. Trying to make them more consistent, also consistent with the 3DView.

This is now consistent in all 3 of them:
LMB for scrubbing the timeline.
Maya ALT Navigation
‘F’ to Focus Selected Keys

Timeline
works on Selected Objecet + Current Frame
[TABLE=“width: 600, align: left”]

CTRL + LMB
Move Key (consistent with the viewport ‘Silo-Tweak’)

SHIFT + LMB
Duplicate Key

[/TABLE]

Graph Editor

CTRL + LMB
Move Key (concistent with the viewport ‘Silo-Tweak’)

SHIFT + LMB
Select Keys ADD

CTRL+SHIFT +LMB
de-Select Keys

ALT + LMB
Select Keys (dropping previous selection)

ALT + LMB(click)
Select Bezier Handles (you can than CTRL + LMB to tweak)

[/TABLE]

Dope Sheet

CTRL + LMB
Move Key (concistent with the viewport ‘Silo-Tweak’)

SHIFT + LMB
Select Keys ADD

CTRL+SHIFT +LMB
de-Select Keys

ALT + LMB
Select Keys (dropping previous selection)

[/TABLE]

Download in the first post.

Edit:
Oct 25, 11.20AM ET (Fixed not being able to draw Render Border, the break was in the Tweak Actions)

coljwood, I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on this as you’re the only animator I am aware of that uses this setup.

OrAngE, to be honest with you I had to uninstall the setup. There was just a lot of stuff that just wasn’t working for me. The hotkeys for 1, 2, 3 mode selection would have been brilliant if the camera keys could remain mapped to the numpad (i’m a bit greedy and want the best of everything), but it removed the mapping.

Although, that wasn’t the reason I uninstalled. There were little bugs like not being able to to disable the render visibility of children in the outliner with just one click. Numerous controls that wouldn’t work in pose mode and editing curves and things like that. I still think the overall functionality in 3D view was great, but it began slowing down my workflow.

For now, i’ve kept some of the addons from this set like the pie menus (there was a lot of stuff I didn’t need and I wouldn’t be surprised if one of those was causing the issue with the outliner). I’ve also mapped the Alt & Navigation/left click and kept the theme and startup layout from your config (because I absolutely love them).

Ideally, what i’m looking for from a modelling point of view is Alt navigation & left click, manipulator changes with ‘WER’ (and a quick way of hiding the manipulator) and mode selection with 1,2,3. I’d like to keep as many default Blender shortcuts as possible but obviously there would be conflicts with the navigation. The Blender shortcuts are hard wired for me so I do need to keep them, it’s just that Modo navigation feels more fluent and if I can combine the two it would be perfect. I do like the way you use Alt + G, R, S as a way of getting round conflicts, but unfortunately it wasn’t consistent across all modes.

With all that being said - as I said before, I absolutely love your setup and in a lot of respects it is what i’m looking for, and made my life a lot easier with trying to learn Modo side by side with my day to day Blender use. Unfortunately though, the things that it doesn’t do well were massively slowing me down. I’m going to give the new setup a try and hopefully provide feedback if I can.

And please don’t feel like i’ve just completely ripped into this setup either - remember that i’ve used this setup since the beginning and loved it from the start.

I installed your keymap again and only included the addons that I use - it seems that the outliner bug is still there. Maybe it is caused by the theme/skin? It can be worked around by clicking things in a specific order, but its irritating. I’ll try and start noting the things I notice when using things outside of the 3D view. My day to day use varies, and I can’t see me using any animation tools for a while but i’ll point out what I can.

First things i’ve noticed today:

UV/Image Editor - The scale and rotate shortcuts don’t use Alt based shortcuts. I know there isn’t a conflict with the conventional R and S, but using Alt so often in 3D view throws you off when you come to using the Image Editor.

Hey, no worries man, thanks on the feedback!

As I had mentioned before, this is my personal setup, just trying to make things easier for myself along the way. At the same time, I do want to make this such that it’s appealing and usable to others as well, so I really appreciate the input. With all the time I had spent in the Input Editor, it’s becoming much easier for me to track/tweak stuff in there.

Anyway, here’s the new tweaks based on your feedback:

UV Editor:
ALT + R Rotate
ALT + S Scale

3DView (Global):
1234 Modo Keys are not conflicting with the Numpad Camera Nav
Changing of Layers is moved to ALT + 1234 (5> work with ALT and without as well)

Edit:
Grow/Shrink Selection got broken with these tweaks. Fixed it!

Maybe the culprit for the Outliner bug is the Outliner: Outliner Extended Keys Addon, try disabling it.

If you feel you have the energy to give it a another go the download from the 1st page is updated.
If not, just try to cannibalize the setup and take parts you feel like you could use, that will mean you probably won’t be able to use updates.

Colin, please list the inconsistencies and issues you are having here in this thread. I would like to know them as well, and 0rAngE is constantly improving this config.

0rAngE, much appreciated! I’ll give that a go today. In fact, I was using the keymap all yesterday with my own addons selected and I was getting on fine with everything. I’ll note anything else I spot in here - at the moment i’m not using as wide variety of things as I usually do and mostly spend my time in 3D view, but i’ll point out anything I pick up.

In regards to the outliner, the bug still seems to happen even with my select few addons installed. Possibly an issue with the theme?

Also, I understand that it’s for your personal preference and don’t expect anything changed for my benefit. I just feel that during my time spent with Modo Indie, the workflow feels more natural and fluent and i’d love to get Blender set up as closely as possible to that. For what it’s worth, this thread may not get much attention here but it pops up quite often over on the Modo forums!

And i’ve noticed that just copying the Keyconfig over seems to work fine atm. I thought there may be conflicts with missing addons but it all seems good.

There is a bug or strangeness with the new layer shortcuts. Alt-1 through 5 switches to layers 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, while just pressing 5 switches to layer 5. Were these not meant to toggle layers 1-5? I find that way more useful than the teens that they are mapped to now.

AN. True, didn’t catch that. From what I gather there seems to be some stuff hardcoded when it comes to Layer Hotkeys (the ctrl/alt/shift modifier keys). I’d have to write a script to change layers 1-4 with ALT, as it seems impossible through the Input Editor. I’ll try it when I get around to it, in the meantime I could possible disable it as it’s not much use in it’s current state.

Ah, that’s too bad. No big deal, just thought I would report it. Yeah, maybe it’s best to disable it then. Thanks.

Also, the following scripts appear to be missing:
mesh_extra_tools
object_booleans
space_view3d_quickprefs
space_view3d_simple_align
uv_align_distribute

Edit: Are these all deprecated addons? Broken and outdated? Sorry, I’m a bit of noob still at blender.

I have just checked them all, and it’s all good on my end here. they are not missing.

Repacked everything and reuploaded. Try to download again. PM me if there is something cofusing there.
Don’t forget to enable Testing category under Support Level of the Addons section. That does not affect load, but it does filter what you can see in the addons. Also use the ‘Search’ Filter to look for specific keywords.

Also tweaked some things that poped up since I disabled Emulate Numpad.
Local View is back on
and Clipping Border on CTRL + \

Also Disabled Layers (ALT+ 1-4) for now. I’ll see if I can script that in the future.

Thanks, giving it a go. It’s too bad that the author of k-tools chose to map it to shift-Q, as that conflicts with material utilities.

3D view is working wonderfully. Haven’t had a chance to try other views yet. Much happier being able to switch with 1,2,3 and use WER for manipulators. I think the important part though is still having (Alt +) S, R and G because I subconsciously use them at times.

Also ditched the Pie Menu on ‘Q’ and set it to disable the manipulator straight out. Works brilliantly.

Cool! Glad to hear it’s working out for you.

There were some changes introduced lately (I have to update the documentation on the first page).

UV Editor, because of the way selections work in the UV EDitor, my Silo-Tweak (CTRL+LMB) is dysfunctional, so I’ve added the same type of tweak as in 3D View, CTRL+MMB. With this tweak (as in 3DView) if you press MMB again you can constrain Translation to axis.

Also integrated Kjartan’s Scripts (ktools) Paint Select.
This is mapped to MMB (slect and Add). And CTRL+SHIFT+MMB to Deselect.

As a consequence I had to move Set 3D Cursor to CTRL+ALT+MMB.
And rRMB Menu to CTRL+ALT+RMB

I’m also contemplating making an updated video with all of the new stuff in the setup. It’s been a year since I made that vid, and a lot has changed.

0rAngE, brother, you make blender so sexy. Excellent implementation of the paint select on the MMB. So fast. And now I can be even more depressed and disappointed that this isn’t the default blender config.

With the original goal of this config being a more silo-like blender, we are really getting there now with the new context sensitive C key shortcut and the wonderful paint-select on the MMB. Fantastic.