[Input] Custom Blender Setup | Silo/Maya- esque

good to hear this is still going strong! when i started out in blender i used it as a reference for what’s doable in terms of customization. i have my own personalized setup now but when recommending blender i always refer max/maya-experienced colleagues to yours for getting a head start with a rather familiar feeling kind of setup.

keep it up. :slight_smile:

Thanks and please don’t stop the support on this 0rAngE, really making a heck of a difference on my side! Should be a Blender standard imho.

I’m getting some errors in the console on startup, any specific add-ons that must be loaded beforehand?

search for unknown operator ‘SCULPT_OT_radial_control’, ‘SCULPT_OT_radial_control’
search for unknown operator ‘SCULPT_OT_radial_control’, ‘SCULPT_OT_radial_control’
search for unknown operator ‘TRANSFORM_OT_snap_type’, ‘TRANSFORM_OT_snap_type’
search for unknown operator ‘VIEW3D_OT_view_straighten’, ‘VIEW3D_OT_view_straighten’
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\Andre\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.77\scripts\addons\mesh_check.py”, line 201, in display_color_callback
if bpy.context.object.mode == ‘EDIT’:
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘mode’
search for unknown operator ‘DATA_OT_triangles_select’, ‘data.triangles_select’
rna_uiItemO: operator missing srna ‘data.triangles_select’

C:\Users\Andre\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.77\scripts\addons\viewport_info-master\draw.py:32
search for unknown operator ‘DATA_OT_ngons_select’, ‘data.ngons_select’
rna_uiItemO: operator missing srna ‘data.ngons_select’

C:\Users\Andre\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.77\scripts\addons\viewport_info-master\draw.py:34
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\Andre\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.77\scripts\addons\mesh_check.py”, line 201, in display_color_callback
if bpy.context.object.mode == ‘EDIT’:
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘mode’

C:\Users\Andre\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.77\scripts\addons\viewport_info-master\draw.py:32

C:\Users\Andre\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.77\scripts\addons\viewport_info-master\draw.py:34

… list goes on

Hey andrev,

those errors are created by the viewport info addon. You can see what the addon does if you activate it with the ALT+Z Pie Menu > Bottom Left Slice (Vieport Info).

On my end I don’t feel like the errors are causing me any grief, and I really like this addon. So in my case the good outweights the bad :slight_smile:

I especially appreciate this addon when sculpting, it gives me instant feedback on what mode I’m in and really cuts down on me having to look into T Panel to see weather I’m in Dyntopo, and what type of Dyntopo I’m in. Also super useful to see polycounts on selected objects.

If you need the console for something to track, you can disable this addon > save user settings, and reboot blender. That should kill the errors.

Thanks 0rAngE, and again great work, working with animation key-frames directly in the timeline like Maya is such a neat feature. I wish Blender will permanently implement this, as well as a “character set” whereby one can add the desired controllers in a set so it shows all the key-frames on the timeline without the need to actually select a controller first. Maya really spoiled me back then when I used it.

Have you made any updates?

Yeah, there’s been some minor tweaks.
This is my personal setup and I constantly tweak some stuff. Haven’t updated the download link though.
I’ll have some time next week, and update some of the Addons that come packed with this setup. I’ll upload the new version after that and post here. That’s going to be a 2.78 update

Thanks! I still use this, and I love every update.

I’m late…
@andrev
i’ll correct this issues i had no seen^^.

@OrAngE
Glad to know you like the addon.
It’s funny because at first, i had created just for the sculpt mode… and Pitiwazou went through and ask me to add more options huhuhu^^.

AN . Glad to hear you still use this. I feel like aside from me, you might be the biggest fan of this setup :slight_smile:
pistiwique . I’m a huge fan of your addons, you and Wazou make some amazing stuff! Thank you! Much appreciated!

How did you get the Knife tool to preview its cuts as dots instead of squares? :smiley:

I don’t know what makes it look that way n my setup. It’s been so long I’ve seen the default, had to delete my prefs in order to see the squares! The thing is, if I revert to defaults it still keeps the “Dots” look, I have to completely delete my prefs folder in order to reset to “Squares”.

I did dig through the UserPrefs, through I would have found what changes it, no luck. I’ll have another go at it later, see if I can find it. I do prefer having Dots though, I find it more visually pleasing.

Updated the setup. The link is updated in the first post of this thread. Note, only the 2.78 file is updated!

A new selection method has been crammed into the mouse commands:
Those who use this setup might know that Select Shortest Path is bound to CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + LMB
The same keys +RMB uses the alternate behaviour of the command:

CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + RMB . Select Shortest Path - Using Fill . Select Shortest Path - Use Fill Option (Select Patch from active vertex to action click)

Here’s an example of how it works:
http://edge-loop.com/images/blender/support/SelectShortestPath_UsefFill.jpg

My (context sensitive) Shift MMB Pie Menu has been updated, both Object and Edit modes probably.

In the UI (Animation) Dope Sheet Editor now by default has “Only include channels relating to selected objects and data”

… I had some other minor incremental cosmetic tweaks, which I unfortunately don’t keep track of and don’t remember exactly what they were

Edit:

Added Copy UVz From Mirror script

Yeah, the Knife tool looks more polished, way better like that.

The thing that changes the shape it’s inside bot the userpref.blend and startup.blend, because removing one of them doesn’t affect the display.

I’m customizing my Blender, picking up cool features from various places, and taking notice of what I change. Now I’ll try to examine what may be that changes the shape (this would be good to add to the Points display too, as they are unpleasant squares, especially if enlarged). Then I’ll start my “expedition” to find out how to disable the Knife tool see through, that is particularly annoying to work with.

Edit:

Found :smiley:

This was the only thing you can’t preview on the fly, the Multisampling (Window Draw Method), it works even with a value of 2 (but I set it to 16, just to get better smooth edges), and it changes the point display too.

By default, Blender, is set to no use Multisampling.

Thanks for the updates.

Hi men, i made two sripts for user other softwire : Edvanced Delete and fast subdivs. I would be happy to see them in their assembly.

You have to assemble the counter includes a permanent anchor, how to return temporarily?

Im so super happy for this theme and the hotkeys.
Thank you for sharing!

Normally it would take me a lot of time to get my perfect custom hotkeys,
yours almost feel perfect! :yes:

When i understand it right, you are using 1,2,3,4 to directly enter the edit modes?
When i press 1,2,3,4 (not on numpad) then the camera switches.
I only can enter the edit mode over tab.

When trying to set the hotkeys with 1,2,3,4 they appear as numpad 1, numpad 2 etc.
but i used the normal numbers not the numbers on numpad.

strange

Cool, glad it helps. Hopefully it helps you evaluate Blender and many of the addons people have made. It’s a very good platform. Super competent with Modeling, ReTopo, UVz, Sculpting (at least that’s what I use it the most). That’s all the stuff that is pipeline independent. But honestly, everything else is also rock solid :slight_smile:

The issue you are having with 1-4 keys seems like the behavior when “Emulate Numpad” is enabled. Odd because with my setup (by default) it should be disabled.
Check if that’s the case:

http://edge-loop.com/images/blender/support/CBS_numKeysBug.jpg

LoL, that was easy :smiley:

Maybe i activated it by mistake

Now it works well, thank you!

Emulate numpad was also enabled for me as well with a fresh install of your config. But easy fix. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback. Must have messed up something on my latest upload.
It’s getting progressively harder for me to update, due to the paid addons that I buy and have to rip out when I share this. Some of them are also bound to hotkeys and Pies.

I’ll upload an update this weekend most likely, get it in sync with my current setup.