insert time in animation?

This seems like it should be an easy question, but I can’t figure out an efficient way to do it.

If I have an animation, and I decide I want to slow down some motion in the middle of the animation, what I really want to do is ‘add frames’ at a particular timepoint, so that all IPO keyframes which follow that time are shifted together.

What I’ve found to do so far is individually select each object with an IPO, then select the keyframes which follow the timepoint, and manually offset them. If I have a lot of object with different IPOs, this becomes pretty tiresome. If there was a way to edit multiple IPOs at once so I could boundary select and grab across all of them at once, that would be much more efficient. Or maybe there’s a command for this particular operation I haven’t come across?

(For object which haven’t “appeared” yet in the scene, I realize I can select them and use a time offset, which is pretty close, but doesn’t help if I only want to offset the latter portion of their motion, not the whole thing.)

Thanks!

The easiest way to do that would be to use the NLA editor. You’ll be able to see all of the keyframes in the scene and move them all at once.

Great! That was exactly what I was looking for, thanks :slight_smile:
Too bad none of the animation tutorials mention that panel, I had no idea it was there or what it did…

You can also set each IPO to be displayed as an Action and then use the Action Editor, although for Objects (as opposed to Bones in an Armature), you still can’t display all the selected Object’s IPOs at once. One of the benefits of using the Action Editor is that there are menu items that allow more key editing options than in the NLA.

For both the Action & NLA Editors, scaling a set of keys becomes much more flexible than using the IPO editor, as the scaling is done from the current frame rather from the mean X value of the selected IPO Editor keys.