Installing 2.49 on Ubuntu 64-bit

The old 2.48a version is available via Synaptic. But the 2.49 is not. So I went and downloaded the 2.49 version. After downloading there was no installer, it just unizipped to a working program. I hadn’t a clue where to put it, so I just put it in my home folder and made a shortcut.

Is there a better way to do this? This seems like a ghetto way to install a program. Plus I had to manually tell Blender where my Scripts were. Doesn’t seem logical.

Hey Urth,

Yafaray has an installer, so it’s pretty basic. Then after it’s installed it actually tells you where it was installed to… I’m pretty sure it’s in the USR/Yafaray directory. Then just go to your preferences in Blender and point your scripts to that folder. Then you’ll notice Yafaray is available as a script (not seen by default, since Blender 2.49 doesn’t have an installer).

It took me a few to figure that out. Since Blender doesn’t have an installer, when I installed the previous version of Blender it automatically saw Yafaray.

They have nice Ubuntu 9.04 .deb package for you just below the tar.bz2 packages at the blender.org download page . Just download that with the GDebi installer (open with option) and it’ll place/install it in the proper directories for you . Just be aware though the .blender directory will be located in your /home directory (unlike windows) . So Ctrl-H to reveal the hidden directories with your file browser . The .blend user default file is also located in the /home directory and not in the .blender one for some reason …

Ah man! I didn’t even see that option. My apologies. Can’t wait to have a better install then what I have now.

Thanks!!!:yes:

I had no idea that was for Python 2.5. I need the Python 2.6 version (and 64-bit). Any chance you could explain from that link your provided (Urth) how you went about installing the 2.6 deb version. That link is very confusing (keep in mind I just starting using Linux a few months ago).

GREATLY APPRECIATED! =)))))))):evilgrin:

ok, so before you do any of that, open the Blender folder in your file manager and press CTRL+H or View -> Show Hidden Files. You will find there is a .blender folder, and inside that is a scripts folder - use that one, it is much easier to access…
You will also find if you install a .deb of Blender it makes the same .blender folder in your /Home directory.

Inside that blender folder create a new folder named scripts (so youll have /home/skoolbus/blender/scripts)

You don’t have to do that with a 64 build package . It’s all included . For some odd reason the 32 bit package is missing the scripts and .blender folders …

But you cannot get a “proper” .deb install of 2.49a with 2.6 Python because it doesn’t have a .deb package . It has to be complied (usually from source) by the .deb maintainer …

So skoolbus, what you have to do if you want 2.6 Python is to plop the blender folder any where you want (the “official” instructions are more cryptic then required) - I currently have several blender builds - all on my desktop - and then just create a launcher by RMB in the desktop -> Create Launcher by navigating to where ever you put it and selecting the blender executable (you can do the same thing on a panel by choosing the “Custom Application Launcher”) and follow the instructions on the Blender site if you want to add a launcher in the app menu … And that’s about it .

The .deb install does idiot proof (all the scripts/bpydata are links) and conforms the install to other .deb applications, but that is not necessary to run Blender - you could “install” Blender on a flash drive and it will work just as well as if it was on the main hard drive .

If you want the Python 2.6 version installed as if it had been from a .deb:

1. Install the Blender .deb that was compiled with Python 2.5
  2. Download the Linux version compiled with Python 2.6 (should be blender-2.49a-linux-glibc236-py26-x86_64.tar.bz2) and extract it
  3. In the extracted folder, rename the file called ‘blender’ to ‘blender-bin’ (minus the quotation marks)
  4. Again in the extracted folder copy the files named ‘blender-bin’ and ‘blenderplayer’
  5. In Terminal type:
gksu nautilus
enter your password (assuming you have administrative privileges)
and a file browser should come up
  1. in that file browser navigate to File System and then /usr/bin
  2. paste the copied files into /usr/bin and confirm that you want to overwrite the existing files
  3. close file browsers and terminal

The advantages of doing it this way are that no shortcuts have to be made and it is as close to an official installation of Blender with python 2.6 -short of compiling it all yourself.

I have done this, and it works great for me.

Followed, it worked perfectly. I noticed the older .blender folder had a scripts folder with a bunch of $hit in it. Why is that not supplied with the version we installed? I just deleted it, now I have a scripts folder with one Yafaray script. All good, I guess the other scripts I’ll never use anyways.

All those scripts and other data from the .blender folder are also in the /usr/share/blender/ folder, so you really haven’t gotten rid of anything.