installing blender on linux?

I.m fairly new to linux and i want to install blender. In the download area the package for linux says “Requires glibc 2.3.6”. what is “Requires glibc 2.3.6”?
I installed linux about a week ago so i haven’t installed any software yet

If you are in Ubuntu just do this:

sudo apt-get install blender

That will give you everything you need.

“Requires glibc 2.3.6” means you’re missing those libraries. In Linux they’re called “dependencies” and each program requires different ones according to the libraries used when they compiled it. It’s also important to know which Linux distro you’re using so we can help you out better on installing such dependencies.
Installing blender should only be a matter of unzipping the file, moving the hidden “.blender” folder into /home/your account, and running it. But blender won’t run untill you got all the dependencies installed. Check the following required “packages” list for blender to compile/run:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/UbuntuBlenderCompile
If you’re missing any of them it won’t run. According to the software management system in your linux distro we can guide you better on how to install them.

regards,
Alvaro

i use ubuntu 7.10

Hello person with a cool nick (love the “007” part),
not too long ago, I found myself in the same situation like you’re in so maybe i can help you a bit.
Angela and afecelis made some very valid points for you to consider and i’ll just add a few things to that.
First, much depends on the distro you choose because some, like PCLinuxOS2008, Ubuntu, Dreamlinux plus a few more make installing software (and missing dependencies) easy or even transparent, meaning - you don’t even have to know what’s missing as scripts take care of everything during install.

Most every distro has a way of installing a specially packaged blender version but those are usually not cutting edge like the ones from www.graphicall.org
Here’s a little tutorial that goes over installing missing dependencies if you use a “debian” based distro.
You can find it here, at the bottom of the page.

Hope that helps and good luck :slight_smile:

Then doing what Angela suggested should install blender and install the required dependencies automatically:

sudo apt-get install blender

or you could try the big apt-get install line in the link to install everything at once,; Open aterminal and paste this into it:

sudo apt-get install build-essential svn-buildpackage scons libopenal-dev libalut-dev \
  libsdl1.2-dev ftgl-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg62-dev libtiff4-dev libopenexr-dev \
   libnspr4-dev libglut3-dev python2.5-dev libxmu-dev libarts1-dev \
  libsmpeg-dev arts libxi-dev gettext

Or "sudo apt-get install"one by one by hand, just to make sure you’re installing everything ok.
But installing blender via apt-get should resolve any conflicts :wink: