installing python 3.0 on Jaunty

I’m guessing I’m going to have to do this sooner or later, but I have some questions:
There are 2 versions of python3.0 in Synaptic, Python3 and Python3.0- which do I install?
Are there any scary side effects of upgrading to 3.0, aka 2.49 will stop working, other things will get bushed, etc.? Thanks

Python3.0 is the one you are after, but it won’t do any harm to have both those packages installed.
As far as I know there should be no ill-effects whatsoever, you can run multiple versions simultaneously. Just don’t remove the older versions or things will stop working.
I have 2.4, 2.5 and 3.0 on Intrepid and all is well…

I’m not sure that it makes a difference…

…But you should be aware that Python 3.1 is the latest version, though not yet available as a DEB package…:rolleyes:

I believe that Python 3.0 is going to be discontinued ( i.e. no longer supported )

…as to 2.49 no longer working that is incorrect. If you are installing them via the repositories you shouldn’t have any problems… I have Python’s 2.4.6, 2.5.4, 2.6.2, 3.0.1 all of them seem to play nice with everything else, and I’ve had NO problems…:no:

Hey guys thanks for the info!