Installing to a CD

Alrighty, I realize this probably seems like a bit of a weird question, but is there any way I can install a compiler (Dev-C++) to a CD so that it can be run without having to be installed?

Ok let me explain my situation: I am in a programming self-study at school and unfortunately the only computers available are either macs or they’re PCs locked down with a program called Deep Freeze. I understand why they did that and it’s fine, it just makes it to where I can’t install a compiler…and in a programming self-study that makes for a interesting problem. I would like to know if it’s possible to install Dev-C++ onto a CD somehow so that I can bring it to school and use it to work on the computers there. As of right now i’ve gotta program in notepad and send the source back and forth to compile at home. This makes it very hard to get things done as I can’t compile and debug programs at school. The librarians are fine with me using the computers for whatever, I just can’t install anything due to Deep Freeze (which by the way resets the hard drive to a particular image every time you reboot).

Once I get a chance i’m going to try to install Dev-C++ to a folder and then burn that to a CD and see if it works…but I don’t really have time at the moment. Just thought i’d ask and see what you guys think. Can it work or not?

Walker

If the Macs have OS X, you can use their developer tools to compile C++ stuff.

Otherwise, I’d suggest you try puting dev-C++ on a cd first and see for yourself whether it works. Or don’t you want to waste a 20p cd?

If you need read/write capabilites, you can use a zip disk or flash disk.

As I understand it, dev-c++ is a gui front-end to the gcc tool so maybe you need to put the gcc component in a particular place. In that case you might have to go up to one of the big scary adults and ask if you’re allowed. :o

I mean really, if they’re ok with you doing development, just ask them to configure deep freeze to let you get dev-c++ installed. If they’re not ok with it, then they obviously don’t want you doing that on their machine. Don’t you have an IT lab at your school?

I’d suggest the flash drive definitely

it isn’t just configuring deep freeze, they have to “thaw” [stupid term, but it means disable of the resetting of the hard drive] then let the software be installed, then “freeze” the system [yet another reboot]

it is a real pain

I’d be a bit surprize if that would be all they have to change to get anything installed, a well configured system wouldn’t let you write to the registry and stuf

but, if you could… I might go as far as creating .reg files which restore the registry part of the installation, and have it installed on your flash drive [get one, it is worth it…]

though, I dunno if dev c++ fits, you’ll probably be better playing with this stuff at home or taking a programming class

[my dev-cpp directory weighs in at 66Mb on a fat32 formatted disk btw]

I was wondering if this could be done with blender. I want 2 install blender on a CD and then be able to take and use it anywhere without having to install it on a comp. I know it can be done with a flashdrive, but can it be done with a CD?

If the Macs have OS X, you can use their developer tools to compile C++ stuff.

They do and I have the tools, however right now i’m interested in Windows programming specificaly.

Or don’t you want to waste a 20p cd?

That was uncalled for.

In that case you might have to go up to one of the big scary adults and ask if you’re allowed :o .

Again so was that.

I mean really, if they’re ok with you doing development, just ask them to configure deep freeze to let you get dev-c++ installed. If they’re not ok with it, then they obviously don’t want you doing that on their machine. Don’t you have an IT lab at your school?

It’s really not that simple as z3r0 has said. As far as an IT lab, the head of the IT department at my school is who i’m working with on this self-study. Concerning the lab itself, it’s all Macs. I go to a fairly small private school and the only PCs we have are in the library, locked up tight.

I’m getting home at 9:00-10:00 every night due to rehersals so I may not get a chance to try this anytime soon, but I’ll let you know when I do try it.

Walker

Ender, sorry for the offtopic post, but your name kicks ass. Been reading the series…

That’s awesome! Don’t worry about being off-topic (this is the off-topic forum anyway). It’s an amazing book and an amazing series. How far are you into the story?

Walker

You should be able to run Dev-C++ from a CD. I’m assuming the account you log in with has some sort of write permissions somewhere on the hard drive, probably in C:\Documents and Settings<accountName> if it’s Win2K or XP. Just install Dev-C++ to your hard drive, add all the extensions you want, and add a .bat file to the C:\Dev-Cpp directory that contains this:

@set PATH=%PATH%;D:\Dev-Cpp\bin;D:\Dev-Cpp\Dll
@start devcpp.exe

That assumes that the CD is on D:\ on the target computers, so adjust it if it’s on a different drive.

Assuming you’re on a student account, named Student, you should have write privileges to C:\Documents and Settings\Student\Local Settings\Application Data, in which Dev-C++ will create devcpp.cfg and DevCpp.ini, which will store the application settings. Every time the system is rebooted or you go to another computer, you’ll have to set the initial settings (theme, code cache, and turn on/off tip of the day), but you should still be able to run it with no problems.

Edit: This should be obvious, but burn the C:\Dev-Cpp directory to a CD, so that it will be <cd_drive>:\Dev-Cpp

grab the latest testbuild from gabio (can be found at the testbuilds forum at the blender dev forum.) unzip it. burn it on a cd and hey presto, you have blender running on a cd. never tried it so i dont know what blender does if it cant store data on the media. you should try on a cdrw first. otherwise it would certantly work at a usb memorystick.
works also with the official blender release but then you have to burn the directory of the original blender release onto the disk. (but the testbuild is better now :wink: )

I’ve read the original 4 book series and right now I’m reading the side series. I just finished Ender’s Shadow and I’m waiting for the library to get Shadow of the Hegemon.
It’s a great story and my favorite was Speaker for the Dead. It reminded me sometimes of Frank Herbert in it’s great form, ideas and it’s incredible look into community life and all the ties and connections within. The last 2 started to drift around a little bit and I didn’t like the Jing-mei subplot too much, but overall they were still good.

Most C++ development is cross-platform. At university, I compiled my supervisor’s 10,000 line undocumented PhD PC C++ software on my Mac by changing one line of code and it was complicated code.

You can develop Blender on Mac OS X (like Ton) move to a Windows machine and it’ll compile too. Just avoid obviously platform specific libraries.

My recommendation is to use a cross-platform GUI toolkit. If it’s just data level programming, like for a C++ command line tool, you don’t even have to bother. If you are using a GUI, just use a cross-platform OpenGL system like GLUT.

[quote]Or don’t you want to waste a 20p cd?

That was uncalled for.

In that case you might have to go up to one of the big scary adults and ask if you’re allowed :o .

Again so was that.[/quote]

Hehehe, I know. I was just messin’.

It’s really not that simple as z3r0 has said.

Actually, what he said didn’t sound too complicated. They had a similar setup on some of the Macs at my university and I just turned it off.

As far as an IT lab, the head of the IT department at my school is who i’m working with on this self-study. Concerning the lab itself, it’s all Macs.

If you have an IT lab, can’t you take an IT course instead of a ‘self-study’.

I go to a fairly small private school… I’m getting home at 9:00-10:00 every night due to rehersals

Private school?.. Rehearsals?..
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons6/39.gif
Dance rehearsals?

As long as his first names aren’t Gender B.

I know, I know… uncalled for ;).

Oh, and I agree with z3r0 d on the flash drive. I used to cart a zip drive and disks to uni. Last year I got a 128MB flash mp3 player that is usb powered for £40 and it’s great. You don’t even need drivers.

If you don’t get something sorted out, you might consider a laptop. I got one for my last 2 years at uni and it was great. Just avoid the Dell monstrosities. Sony Viaos are cool though.

Thanks for the specifics on that DoggettCK, I don’t think i’d have taken the time to think all that out.

It’s a great story and my favorite was Speaker for the Dead.

My personal favorite is Ender’s Game, nothing’s better then the origional :smiley: . Anyway to each his own, they’re all awesome.

If you have an IT lab, can’t you take an IT course instead of a ‘self-study’.

Ok, IT lab isn’t necissarily the right term. We have a nice lab, but programming classes aren’t offered because there just isn’t enough interest.

I go to a fairly small private school… I’m getting home at 9:00-10:00 every night due to rehersals

Private school?.. Rehearsals?..

Dance rehearsals?

Umm, no? Play rehersals. This is tech week so things are a bit crazy.

Thanks guys, I’m gonna see if I can get this think going tonight.

Walker