Instructional Graphic Overlays???????

Okay, for instance, in (yes i know all the n00bs reference this) Call Of Duty, they have instructional text when you get near an object that tell you to press the “Use” key to do an action. I wanted to do this for a door, and i guessed “Hey! i’ll use a ‘near’ sensor and add an overlay scene with text!!” But Blender said “No.” so i set it up and when i get within 5 blender units the instruction appears. my problem is when i walk away it remains. Even though i set “how far until the sensor forgets the object” to 0.100 it remains. no matter how far i go; it remains. Any Suggestions?? PLEASE?

Hi, the problem, is that your setup activates the text, you need a counter setup to deactivate it or put a timer in your text.
The counter setup, you set the nears sensor to negative pulses , and send a message to end the text. The text object receives the message and knows it must disappear.
For the timer, 1. use a addObject actuator with a time for the text to exist. or 2. Use a delay sensor to end the object!
Et voilá!

The near sensor sends False Pulse too.
Your logic needs to react on this as well. The NAND controller might be the solution for you.

You can switch on Physics Visualization to see when the near sensor changes the state (assuming set and reset have different values).

i do not understand your solutions, could you expound?

“Hey! i’ll use a ‘near’ sensor and add an overlay scene with text!!” But Blender said “No.” so i set it up and when i get within 5 blender units the instruction appears. my problem is when i walk away it remains.

From what I gathered you are adding the Overlay Scene with the near sensor? If so then:

Your adding a scene with that logic, not simply ‘showing’ it. Even know you move out of the near sensors range, that scene has already been added to the game, and you must remove it to get rid of it.

Try putting a NAND controller attached to the same sensor and attach a Scene Actuator with Remove Scene “insert your overlay scene name here”.

Hope this helps :slight_smile: