Intel HD Graphics 620 don't work with Eevee

Thanks @YAFU. Can Ubuntu be installed on a partition on a SD card or pen drive so that you can boot from it and run the OS from it? since you can do it on an SSD I guess it should be possible on an SD Card, is that right?

I never tried to do real installations in pendrive/flash memory.
You could do the test, but I do not know that Surface Pro device. With an SD memory inserted, can you from the BIOS choose SD Card as the primary disk to boot?. I do not mean F8 / F9 / F12 shortcuts to choose device to boot, but to BIOS configuration to choose boot order.
My concern here is that if you try to install Linux on SD card you end up unable to start Windows if Linux fail because you have written MBR of the disk/drive with Grub where you have Windows installed.
So if from the BIOS you choose as first boot disk to the device where you want to install Linux, I think it is safe to do the test because GRUB will be installed on that unit and will not overwrite the MBR of the drive where Windows is installed.
By the way, you could try doing that installation from any computer, another PC for example. But always be sure you chose SD card as the main disk to boot from the BIOS.
If you can do it, running the system from SD card will be very slow anyway. Trying with an external disk would be much better.

Edit:
I think Ubuntu allows you to choose where to install GRUB, but anyway it is in Linux terminology and you have to know exactly what SD card is (sda, sdb, etc)

Yes, you can change boot order from BIOS on the Surface. Mine has a 128Gb SSD and a micro SD card slot. . it comes with windows 10, I don’t want to partition some space on the SSD for the Linux install out of fear of ruining windows but in theory it’s possible, although i think not that simple, I red somewhere you have to do an UEFI partition. The problem here is that it comes with an OS already so you have to make a new partition on a drive that already contains a OS but I’ve seen some people did it.

It looks like the BF is aware of the broken state of Blender 2.8 on Intel integrated graphics (a number of bugs listed).
https://developer.blender.org/T56668

It is the gift that keeps on giving for the developers, and you think AMD has problems producing truly sturdy drivers.

Oh yes, Windows 10, secure boot and UEFI… There are some tutorials out there, but I never installed Linux in EFI mode, so I do not know how to do it.

I already disabled secure boot on the BIOS, it was needed to try Linux pendrive installation but I’m not sure where to go from here. I’ll try what @LoboTommy said, just to test if EEVEE works fine on Ubuntu, even if it’s just temporary

I had got a kabbylake chip read up on it got it, to find out on the box small print was only window OS can be installed so I am stuck which was annoying, if any help not read up on Kaby x series specifics

That’s the idea. You’d set it up while making the live SD, via some option in unetbootin for example. Before going to the trouble I’d just update the mesa driver to see if that fixes the system hangs via Blender.

Yes but two things. In your case unless you can connect another block device (USB or SD) or install to another partition on the SD you’ll be overwriting your running Linux OS. Maybe booting a Linux iso in Virtualbox and installing to your SD could work :man_shrugging: ? The second is I doubt there’s much advantage over the live system from doing so (bus speeds etc will be the same).

Good news everyone! at least everyone with an Intel HD graphics! last build (04/09/2018) works!
Clément has been working hard and Eevee works now with the 5XX and the 6XX I guess. But still there are some things that need to be fixed, like screen space reflections. Also he told me that microsoft’s driver is (or the OpenGL implementation they do) is broken to the core, wich sounds terrible but for now seems to work

Un-funnily enough this 4/9/18 build broke my Intel HD520 setup. I found that running an older version of Nvidia drivers for last few months fixed eevee screen artifacts in display port. But on 4/9/18 it seems that glitchy artifacts came back. I updated to the latest Nvidia drivers in the hope of it being fixed, but no go.
Capturezzzz

I’ve talked with Clément Foucault, the developer of Eevee and he said that the Intel OpenGL implementation on their drivers is “broken to the core”, or something along those lines. He has been able to fix the transparent pixels bug and the reflections (although still buggy) So I’d stay optimistic about those artifacts. Not so sure about GI.

i have the same problem on the intel uhd 630
see below render with evee

has any one anny ideas to fix the problem?? driver version driver below on a windows 10 64bit

version of eevie

intel driver

Hi Mathieu, Clément is working hard trying to make the Intels work with Eevee, but it’s hard, Intel should have made a better implementation of OpenGL on their drivers.

Clément has just fixed most important bugs and Eevee now works fine on the Intels 5XX and 6XX. Thanks Clément!

Just bought a Dell XPS 13 so that I could use Blender 2.8 while at the studio I work at. Video card is the integrated Intel 620. 2.79 works fine, and although 2.8 loads ok, it has a major issue.

In 2.8, I can access all the menus just fine, and the displayed cube looks ok, but if I try to manipulate the 3D view it will stall after a fraction of a second, even freezing the cursor. I then have to wait a few seconds and everything will update, allowing me to use my laptop again… but if I try to do something else in the 3D view, and it stalls again. Once again, 2.79 works fine, and viewing 3D models with advanced shaders ok Sketchfab.com gives me no issues.

This seems to be the case with the latest builds of Manjaro (18) and Ubuntu. If I go back builds from a few years back, it seems ok… BUT, the moment I perform an update the problem comes back.

Woooo, that’s weird, I have the 620 and Eevee now runs fine, although I’m on windows 10. There’s a bug tracker page somewere for the intel GPUs, I’ll see where it was

Ooh man… don’t tell me I gotta put Windows back on. Hoping there’s some known issue that’s being worked on.

I could Ask Clèment, maybe he knows something about it, does this happen to you when using Eevee or does it happen regardless of the render engine?